Keane do their bit for kids in IraqNovember 14th, 2007 - 2:49 am ICT by admin
They also declared profits from a pair of shows, Manchester Apollo on October 31 and Brixton Academy on November 1, will also go to the charity.
“We’re not the kind of people who turn up to the opening of an envelope. We feel if we’re going to get involved in anything we need to feel passionate about it. We have no fear in sticking our necks out and telling our fans about just what is going on in Iraq,” The Sun quoted Chaplin, as saying.
The threesome have set themselves a bold fund-raising target, and are planning to raise up to 1.5 million pounds.
“The aim is to raise 1.5 million pounds to fund a three year campaign in Iraq, which will help a quarter of a million people. Hopefully, between the two shows we should get 100,000 pounds through ticket sales alone. And the same goes for the single,” Richard said.
Warchild managing director Mark Waddington said that the main aim of the show is to gain a wide audience for the Iraq appeal.
“What we’re using this show for is to gain as wide an audience as we can for the Iraq appeal. People can donate money by texting child to 88818 and people can also pledge their support on the website www.warchildiraqappeal.com,” Waddington said.
Chaplin further said that the single itself, The Night Sky, is written from the perspective of a small child affected by conflict.
“I’m quite terrified and hope we don’t make an embarassment of ourselves. hether it’s tunnel vision I just see the goal, which is raising money for Warchild and having a huge influence on many lives,” he said. (ANI)
- Brit girl, 10, in soup for using Chaplin song in charity video - Jul 21, 2010
- Gallagher show raises $240,000 for Japan - Apr 05, 2011
- Bhavna's 'Happi' black-and-white tribute to Charlie Chaplin - May 03, 2011
- Rare Chaplin footage found - Jul 10, 2011
- Kate Moss attends Help For Heroes charity auction - Oct 08, 2010
- Pregnant Alicia Keys 'wants to teach her child about charity' - Oct 02, 2010
- Charlie Chaplin Come To INDIA For The 1st Time - Dec 08, 2010
- Brit girl seduces men to expose lies, earns big bucks during Valentine's - Feb 12, 2011
- Sting is the latest star to join Australian Food Campaign - Jan 25, 2011
- Student is youngest British woman to climb Everest - May 22, 2012
- Sky Sports 'sexism row' presenters sign Talksport radio deal - Feb 09, 2011
- Gaga, Usher, Kardashian 'play dead' to raise money for World AIDS Day - Nov 29, 2010
- Gary Barlow thanks fans for support - Aug 09, 2012
- Man jailed for 27 years for 1966 murder - Jul 23, 2012
- Downey Jr. hasn't got his due: Amitabh - Jul 18, 2011
Tags: 5 million, aim, audience, brixton academy, charity, embarassment, hether, iraq, manchester apollo, night sky, no fear, raising money, richard hughes, target, texting, tim rice, tom chaplin, tunnel vision, waddington, warchild