Katrina has tough time dubbing for Santoshi’s filmJune 21st, 2009 - 9:04 am ICT by IANS
By Subhash K. Jha
Mumbai, June 21 (IANS) Katrina Kaif is having a tough time dubbing for “Ajab Prem Ki Ghazab Kahani”, especially with director Raj Kumar Santoshi known to be very particular about his actor’s diction.The actress, who has a pronounced British accent, has been practising her Hindi constantly with friends as well as in her dubbing, so much so that she almost lost her voice.
For Katrina dubbing is the most difficult part of the acting process. After all, she was initially dubbed by professional artists. She finally won the right to speak on screen in her own voice.
Co-star Ranbir Kapoor has a lot of colloquial Hindi to speak in “Ajab Prem Ki Ghazab Kahani” and Santoshi has personally been supervising the dubbing.
But Ranbir is a very skilled dialogue deliverer. And getting the rustic colloquialism right is a cakewalk for him.
Not so for Katrina. She finds the dubbing the most challenging thing she has ever done.
“I don’t have any colloquial lines like Ranbir. I play this Catholic Bandra girl who’s very dramatic. She’s funny to others. But not to herself. So when I cry I have to cry real tears but make sure they come across as funny.
First of all the lines are not comic in the dubbing theatre. So I’ve to recreate the laughter on the sets in a studio without knowing if I am being funny enough,” Katrina told IANS.
For Katrina it’s excruciating. “I don’t know whether I’m getting it right or not. I’m doing the dubbing under supervision. But this is the most difficult film I’ve dubbed for.”
Now that she’s almost finished dubbing she plans to re-do the portions Santoshi isn’t satisfied with.
A bigger challenge now awaits Katrina.
In Prakash Jha’s “Rajneeti”, where she plays a politician, she must Recreate all the rhetorics that she mouthed on stage in front of thousands of spectators.
“The speeches I made have been taped. Now I have to listen to them, get the accent, tone and voice quality right, and dub in a studio.”
Easier said than done.
- Santoshi to start Abhay-Sonam starrer Feb 1 - Jan 11, 2012
- Ranbir turns funny to promote political thriller 'Raajneeti' - May 26, 2010
- Nana Patekar Embarrasses Ranbir Kapoor - Apr 07, 2010
- It's been a wonderful ride so far: Katrina Kaif (Interview) - Mar 03, 2010
- Explore your funny side with 'Ajab Prem Ki...' (IANS preview) - Nov 02, 2009
- Ranbir Kapoor Diffuses The Tension For Prakash Jha - May 27, 2010
- Ranbir plays the spurned lover again - Sep 27, 2009
- Ranbir Kapoor plays spurned lover again - Oct 06, 2009
- Ajab Prem Ki Ghazab Kahani music topping the charts - Oct 17, 2009
- Ajab Prem Ki Ghazab Kahani Music Launch On World Smile Day! - Oct 03, 2009
- Ranbir turns into the Indian Charlie Chaplin for APKGK - Oct 23, 2009
- Ranbir, Katrina to Address College Students across the Country - Mar 23, 2010
- 'Ajab Prem...' one big goofy, comic joyride (IANS Film Review; Rating:***) - Nov 07, 2009
- Chocolate boy to desi Corleone, Kapoor scion grows up - Jun 10, 2010
- No intimacy between Saif, Deepika in 'Aarakshan': Jha - Feb 21, 2011
Tags: british accent, cakewalk, co star, colloquial hindi, colloquialism, deliverer, diction, kahani, katrina kaif, politician, prakash jha, prem, professional artists, raj, ranbir kapoor, real tears, rhetorics, spectators, subhash k jha, voice quality