Katie blamed for boom in breast enhancement surgeryDecember 3rd, 2011 - 10:53 am ICT by IANS
London, Dec 3 (IANS) Model Katie Price, who has undergone at least three operations to get fuller breasts, has been blamed for a boom in the number of women wanting to undergo bust enhancement surgeries.
A 10 percent rise in such surgeries has been seen in the last year, thanks to women wanting to go for oversized implants and at cheap foreign clinics, reports thesun.co.uk.
Plastic surgeon Douglas McGeorge said: “There is the Jordan Syndrome, where some women want bigger and bigger breasts. The bigger they are, the more problems are likely to occur.”
“Some people have no idea who is treating them or the standards of the hospital equipment. Some implants are prone to failure. The cheap option is not always the best,” he added.
There were 206 breast enhancement disasters in 2010. Out of them, 153 of them were ruptures, health watchdogs revealed after a Freedom of Information request. This compares with 73 in 2006.
Patients have complained of wrinkled breast, painful swelling and implants that go stiff.
Celebrities who have suffered these include former Atomic Kitten Kerry Katona, who had burst stitches around her implants in 2005. Actress Tara Reid was left with uneven breasts, scars and bumps.
- 1,500 Venezuelan women sue breast implant firm - Jan 11, 2012
- An 'explosion' in the number of boob jobs in run-up to Christmas - Dec 08, 2010
- Do women with silicone breast implants require follow-Up MRI scans? - Mar 29, 2011
- 100,000 UK women in danger of their breast implants rupturing - Apr 18, 2011
- No breast implant ruptures reported in China - Jan 07, 2012
- Dutch women advised to remove breast implants - Jan 12, 2012
- "I Want Another Boob Job," Says Kerry Katona - Jan 24, 2011
- France advises breast implant removal over cancer risk - Dec 24, 2011
- Alert for women who had breast implants - Dec 21, 2011
- Breast implants recalled over rupturing fear - Apr 04, 2010
- Kerry Katona to launch her clothing line - Sep 28, 2010
- Women with breast implants alerted to cancer risk - Dec 03, 2011
- Brit woman's agony as cheap breast implants explode - Sep 22, 2010
- Link between breast implants and rare form of cancer confirmed - Apr 20, 2011
- Paintball shot bursts British woman's breast implants - Aug 25, 2011
Tags: actress tara, atomic kitten, bigger breasts, breast enhancement surgery, bust enhancement, cheap option, freedom of information, freedom of information request, fuller breasts, implants, katie price, kerry katona, mcgeorge, plastic surgeon, scars, stitches, tara reid, thesun, uneven breasts, watchdogs