Kathakali percussionist Kalamandalam Kesavan deadApril 25th, 2009 - 6:51 pm ICT by IANS
Kochi, April 25 (IANS) Kathakali percussionist, actor and playwright Kalamandalam Kesavan died Saturday after a brief illness at a private hospital here, family sources said. He was 73.
He is survived by his wife and four children.
Keshavan first trained with his uncle Neettiyath Govindan Nair who groomed him in percussion. He later trained in Kathakali ‘melam’ (percussion ensemble) with stalwarts like Moothamana Kesavan Namboodiri and Thiruvallwamala Venkinchan Swamy at Poomully Mana in Palakkad district.
The turning point in his life came when he enrolled in the famed art school at Kalamandalam and trained with Krishnankutty Poduval. While in Kalamandalam, he also turned a Kathakali playwright.
After working as a teacher at FACT school in Aluva for three decades, veteran film director Aravindan spotted the actor in him and offered a role in “Oridathu”. The offer fell through when Keshavan met with an accident.
At the age of 65, Keshavan debuted in the film “Marattam”. Since then he acted in a number of films including “The Car”, “Don Bosco”, “Nadan Pennum Nattupramaniyum”, “Varavai”, “Saivar Thirumeni” and “Oru Katha Pole”.
He featured in many television serials too.
He was recipient of Kerala Kalamandalam Award, Kala Sahithya Academy Award, Ravunni Menon Memorial Award and N.K. Pisharadi Award among others.
- PM lays foundation of southern performing arts museum - Sep 12, 2012
- Kurup, Shaji Karun, Jayaram among Kerala's Padma awardees - Jan 25, 2011
- Jasraj, Lagoo, Amonkar get Sangeet Natak Akademi awards - Sep 28, 2010
- Kathakali performance attempts to enter record books - Feb 12, 2011
- Actor Rama Varma Kunjikuttan Thampuran dies at 74 - Aug 26, 2010
- Vocalist Girija Devi conferred Sangeet Natak Akademi fellowship - Jul 22, 2011
- Tharoor quotes Malayalam poet in his defence - Apr 20, 2010
- Kathakali meets Christ: Holy Mass on stage - Jul 17, 2011
- Washington festival to showcase Indian arts and culture - Feb 05, 2011
- Americans in for an Indian cultural feast - Nov 14, 2010
- Traditional Norwegian theatre akin to Kathakali: Director - Nov 28, 2010
- Kalamandalam Hemalatha Creates Guinness Record For Longest Dance! - Jan 09, 2011
- Culture odyssey: The eclectic journey of Indian dance (Feature, With Images) - Jul 22, 2011
- Gandhi items' auction disappoints collector - Apr 18, 2012
- Tom Stoppard in India Jan 23 to talk about adaptations - Jan 09, 2012
Tags: aluva, art school, don bosco, family sources, film director, katha, kochi, menon, nadan, nair, namboodiri, oru, percussion ensemble, percussionist, private hospital, stalwarts, swamy, television serials, three decades, veteran film