Kashmiri separatists mull over Amarnath shrine row dealSeptember 1st, 2008 - 12:42 pm ICT by ANI
Srinagar/Jammu, Sept 1 (ANI): Kashmiri separatist leaders are reportedly holding deliberations in the wake of the State Government agreeing to allot forest land temporarily to pilgrims heading for the Amarnath shrine.
The All-Party Hurriyat (Freedom) Conference (APHC) executive meeting will continue in Srinagar today.
“With all seriousness, we have discussed the present situation of the Kashmir Valley on arrests and curfew,” said senior APHC leader Abdul Gani Bhat.
The State Government has decided to allow the Shri Amarnath Shrine Board temporary use of the 40-hectares of land during the annual pilgrimage.
In response, the Shri Amarnath Sangharsh Samiti (SASS) has called off its nearly two-month-long agitation. “In this victory, the people of Jammu and rest of the country have made significant contribution,” claimed Leela Karan, the SASS convenor.
The SASS celebrations, however, were dampened by the State Government banning processions.
“Even today, the government is kneeling before traitors, and perhaps, that is the reason why they have forbidden any celebrations in Jammu after the allotment of land to the board. Perhaps they fear reactions from the Kashmir Valley,” said Leela.
The peace formula was hammered out after nearly two months of agitation following the revocation of the land transfer to the Shrine Board by the State Government.
Earlier on August 23, the Samiti and the panel had held three rounds of talks.
The Governor’’s panel included Vice Chancellor of Jammu University Professor Amitabh Mattoo, former Judge of Jammu and Kashmir High Court Justice (Retd) G. D. Sharma and Principal Secretary to Governor and Chief Executive Officer of SASB B. B. Vyas.
The Samiti’’s committee comprised of Tilak Raj Sharma, Brigadier (Retd) Suchet Singh, Narinder Singh and Pawan Kohli. (ANI)
- Amarnath samiti calls Jammu bandh Saturday - Jul 02, 2010
- Amarnath talks delayed by a few hours (Lead) - Aug 30, 2008
- Amarnath Samiti leader to contest polls - Mar 14, 2009
- SASS defers protest plan after meeting with government - Feb 12, 2009
- Curfew in Srinagar to prevent separatist march - Aug 28, 2010
- Amarnath land row: J-K Govt., Sangharsh Samiti sign agreement - Aug 31, 2008
- Jammu shutdown call has few supporters - Jul 02, 2010
- Amarnath land agitation leader files nomination papers - Mar 28, 2009
- Government and Amarnath Sangharsh Samiti sign agreement (Second lead) - Aug 31, 2008
- PDP to hold first major public meet in Jammu - Mar 11, 2011
- All set for Amarnath yatra, pilgrims apprehensive - Jun 26, 2010
- Breakthrough likely in Amarnath land row (Third Lead) - Aug 23, 2008
- Government should be specific about land use: Jammu group - Aug 30, 2008
- Amarnath talks: Fourth round begins in Jammu (Second Lead) - Aug 30, 2008
- Talks begin on Amarnath land row - Aug 23, 2008