Karen Olivio wins her first TonyJune 8th, 2009 - 8:56 pm ICT by GD
On June 7, Sunday, Karen Olivio won her first Tony Award in the theater performing career. The theatre veteran of Lakeland and Winter Haven won the Tony for her performance in the Broadway musical “West Side Story”. The Tony Awards was telecast live on Sunday, on CBS. The award ceremony was held in the Radio City Music Hall in New York.
Karen Olivio is a former Polk County who had done her graduation on 1994 from Lakeland’s Harrison Center for the Visual and Performing Arts. She had also starred in last year’s Tony Award winning musical, “In the heights”. The talented actress was nominated in the “Best Performance by a featured actress in a musical. She is the first Central Floridan to have won a Tony and taken home the most coveted of prizes in theater.
Karen Olivio, 32, plays the part of the fiery Anita in the current revival of the play “West side Story”. The actress has been accepted as the darling on the Broadway circuit due to her commanding stage presence, her capturing voice and her lustrous air.
After winning the award, Olivio said that, “I’m completely unprepared for this. I just want to dedicate this to everyone who has a dream.” After she managed to thank the play’s 91 year old director Arthur Laurents, the actress completely br0ke down in to tears.
Her performance in the revival of the Broadway classic fetched her rave reviews from the press. The New York Times review read, “a stunner, full of citrusy zest acerbity”. The New York Daily News reported her act as the “Shows most thrilling performance.”
- Catherine Zeta-Jones to play Cleopatra - Jun 18, 2012
- Zeta-Jones, Scarlett And Denzel Win Top Honors At The Tony Awards - Jun 16, 2010
- Johansson, Zeta-Jones wins top Tony awards - Jun 15, 2010
- Kathleen Turner Returning To Broadway With "High" - Jan 23, 2011
- Kara DioGuardi to make Broadway debut with 'Chicago' - Jun 20, 2011
- Christie Brinkley all set to make her Broadway debut - Feb 08, 2011
- Billy Elliot swoops 10 Tony awards - Jun 08, 2009
- Brit's dominate 2009 Tony Awards winners list - Jun 08, 2009
- Kathleen Turner's Broadway show to close after just 8 performances - Apr 28, 2011
- Jude Law returns to Broadway - Sep 06, 2011
- Legendary singer Lena Horne dies aged 92 - May 10, 2010
- Neil Patrick Harris to host Tony Awards? - May 05, 2011
- English Actors Win It Big At The Tony Awards - Jun 14, 2010
- Eddie Redmayne Wins His First Tony Award - Jun 14, 2010
- Glee star Lea Michelle wants Barbra Streisand's role - Feb 16, 2011
Tags: arthur laurents, award ceremony, broadway circuit, broadway classic, broadway musical, city music hall, floridan, new york daily news, new york times, olivio, radio city music, radio city music hall, stage presence, talented actress, tony award, tony awards, west side story, winter haven, york daily news, zest