Kareena to sport Barbie doll look in ‘Kambakkht Ishq’June 6th, 2009 - 9:02 am ICT by IANS
By Radhika Bhirani
New Delhi, June 6 (IANS) Kareena Kapoor’s look in “Kambakkht Ishq” is being touted as her most glamorous ever, but her make-up artist Mallika Bhat says that apart from looking ultra glam, she will also sport a “Barbie doll-look” in the action thriller.
“One of Kareena’s looks in the film is inspired by Barbie doll,” Bhat told IANS over telephone from Mumbai.
“One day, while on the shoot, she came out of her vanity van and was ready for her shot. She was wearing a baby pink tube top with a white skirt and I gave her a creamy baby pink lipstain (colour) for her lips. Her hair was straight - and as soon as I saw her, I told her how much she looked like Barbie doll,” she said.
In “Kambakkht Ishq”, which is produced by Sajid Nadiadwala, Kareena stars alongside superstar Akshay Kumar who plays a Hollywood stuntman. It also stars Hollywood biggies like Sylvester Stallone, Brandon Routh and Denise Richards.
According to Bhat, Kareena’s different looks in the film have a lot to do with the progression of her character.
“At first she has a plain Jane look, followed by a cute girl-next-door look and then she ultimately turns into an ultra-glam diva as she plays a model in the film,” she said.
Bhat said that Kareena has been made to wear minimum make-up and tied ponytails for the first part of her character, while she leaves her hair open and sports little gloss for her second look.
But later Kareena’s eyes are well accentuated with different colours, she added.
“For her glamorous look, I used metallic liners in colours like charcoal, blue, green, grey and played around with a lot of shimmer on her eyes. But what remained permanent for Kareena throughout the film was the creamy baby pink lip colour that I have not used on anyone yet,” Bhat said.
Bhat, who was responsible for Deepika Padukone’s Chinese looks in “Chandni Chowk To China”, says Kareena too loves slipping into the glamorous look.
“She is a girl. Like every other girl, she enjoys getting ready and so I guess she enjoyed slipping into the glamorous character. She liked to get ready for it like any other girl her age would have,” she said.
Coupled with Bhat’s make-up techniques, Mumbai-based hairstylist Pompy Hans worked on Kareena’s hair for the film.
“She has such a glamorous role in the film. I tied her hair into neat ponytails for her first look, gave her simple and straight hair for her second and then experimented with a layered haircut, a nice bouncy blow dry on her hair and even coloured her hair copper, mostly dark blonde tints for her model-like look,” Pompy told IANS.
Kareena sports fashion designer Aki Narula’s outfits in the movie.
- Katrina Kaif: The Perfect Barbie Doll! - Nov 25, 2010
- I am scared of bike riding: Kareena - Dec 05, 2011
- 'Bollywood beauties spar over makeup artiste' - Oct 15, 2010
- It's fun to change looks: Kylie Minogue - Mar 05, 2012
- Priyanka-Kareena fight over makeup artist - Nov 30, 2009
- When Bollywood actors went de-glam and geeky (2010 in Retrospect) - Dec 22, 2010
- Bridal makeup: Less is more - Nov 13, 2011
- Not interested in being a Barbie doll: Cattrall - Jul 04, 2011
- Kim Kardashian likes natural look - Oct 30, 2010
- Barbie maker's new dolls that 'have to wax' spark outrage - Mar 12, 2011
- Katrina launches Barbie doll inspired by her - May 05, 2011
- Lawrence excited about her doll - Apr 12, 2012
- Kareena sports 'no make-up look' on People magazine cover - Jun 06, 2010
- Abhishek goes back to school! (Movie Snippets) - Dec 24, 2011
- Hitler ordered sex dolls for Nazi troops - Jul 11, 2011
Tags: action thriller, akshay kumar, barbie doll, bhat, biggies, brandon routh, charcoal blue, chowk, cute girl, deepika padukone, green grey, ishq, kareena kapoor, lip colour, pink lip, plain jane, ponytails, radhika, sylvester stallone, tube top