Karan Johar Will Now Make Public-Interest FilmsMarch 30th, 2009 - 12:38 pm ICT by Sampurn Wire
By Subhash K Jha
The entire music video from Karan Johar’s Dharma Productions featuring young A-listers from Hollywood asking the young in India to vote was put together in two days flat.
“And that included Salim(of Salim-Suleiman)’s background music,” said Karan proudly.
On Thursday stars beginning with Abhishek Bachchan and Karan Johar himself, trooped into the studio to have their say on camera.
Karan was delighted. “I had to do nothing except pick up the phone and ask everyone to come and record their message for the young. I was surprised by how readily and quickly they took time off from their busy schedules for this public-interest broadcast.”
And now Karan Johar has discovered a new passion. He wants to now produce informative profit-free short films for television that would subscribe ways to achieve an improvement in the quality of our life.
Karan Johar’s entire music video urging the youngsters of the country to vote was put together in two days.
And considering it stars every 32-minus A-lister from Kareena Kapoor to Abhishek Bachchan, that’s no mean achievement.
“The credit for the music video must go to Imran Khan,” says Karan Johar who has been shooting non-stop with Shah Rukh Khan and Kajol for My Name Is Khan. “I had gone to meet Imran for a film when he brought up the idea of a video on voting. His enthusiasm rubbed off on me. I got together with a politician friend Mukul Deora, called up my writer-friend Niranjan Iyenger to write the script and asked my Dostana director and friend Tarun Mansukhani to direct it.And we were ready.”
Karan will now be looking at other public-interest films where he can use his connections in Bollywood for purposes other than entertainment.
“The vote-youth video made me realize the importance of reaching out to the public. Considering we’re going through a global economic recession and other major problems it is very important for the young to be mobilized into casting their votes to elect correct leaders. Similarly there’re other areas where I think my contacts could come in handy.” -Sampurn Media
- Karan Johar makes vote-youth video, thanks Imran Khan - Mar 30, 2009
- Karan Johar coaxes Shahrukh Khan to get on Twitter - Jan 04, 2010
- Amitabh Bachchan Changed Indian Television, Says Karan Johar - Nov 08, 2010
- No shoulder surgery for Shabana (Movie Snippets) - Dec 20, 2011
- Bollywood galore at Riteish-Genelia sangeet - Feb 01, 2012
- Kareena, Imran pairing USP of 'Ek Main...': Karan - Dec 15, 2011
- Kareena is magic: Imran Khan - Dec 22, 2011
- 'Dostana' sequel to go on floors this summer - Mar 20, 2010
- On or off shoot, Bollywood celebs catch India-Pakistan match - Mar 30, 2011
- Vir Das shoots music video for 'Delhi Belly' - Mar 03, 2011
- My next will be a full-fledged musical: Karan Johar - Nov 11, 2010
- Shah Rukh a hit on Twitter, has over 20,300 followers - Jan 04, 2010
- Madhuri in disguise at Taj (Movie Snippet) (With Image) - Jul 08, 2012
- Karan Johar Gives Lets Go Of Imran's Dates For Kunal Kohli - Jun 21, 2010
- Happy Diwali, tweets Bollywood - Oct 26, 2011
Tags: abhishek bachchan, background music, dharma productions, global economic recession, imran khan, interest films, kajol, karan johar, kareena kapoor, lister, listers, mansukhani, public interest, salim, shah rukh khan, short films, subhash, suleiman, writer friend, youngsters