Karan Johar makes vote-youth video, thanks Imran KhanMarch 30th, 2009 - 6:07 pm ICT by IANS
By Subhash K. Jha
Mumbai, March 30 (IANS) Bollywood filmmaker Karan Johar, who recently shot a vote-youth video asking young India to vote during the general election, gives credit to Imran Khan for giving him the idea.
“The credit for the music video must go to Imran Khan,” said Karan Johar who has been shooting non-stop with Shah Rukh and Kajol for “My Name Is Khan”.
“I had gone to meet Imran for a film when he brought up the idea of a video on voting. His enthusiasm rubbed off on me. I got together with politician friend Mukul Deora, called up my writer-friend Niranjan Iyenger to write the script and asked my ‘Dostana’ director and friend Tarun Mansukhani to direct it. And we were ready,” Karan told IANS.
The entire video, which features young A-listers from Bollywood, was put together in two days flat.
“And that included the background music by Salim (of Salim-Suleiman),” said Karan.
On Thursday, stars beginning with Abhishek Bachchan and Karan Johar himself, trooped into the studio to have their say on camera.
“I had to do nothing except pick up the phone and ask everyone to come and record their message for the young. I was surprised by how readily and quickly they took time off from their busy schedules for this public-interest broadcast,” said Karan.
After making the vote-youth video, Karan wants to produce informative short films for television.
“The vote-youth video made me realise the importance of reaching out to the public. Considering we’re going through a global economic recession and other major problems, it is very important for the young to be mobilized into casting their votes to elect correct leaders.
“Similarly, there’re other areas where I think my contacts could come in handy,” said Karan who is known for his commercial hits like “Kuch Kuch Hota Hai” and “Kal Ho Naa Ho”.
- Karan Johar Will Now Make Public-Interest Films - Mar 30, 2009
- Happy 40th birthday KJo, with love, luck: B-Town - May 25, 2012
- Karan Johar chooses his directors on instinct - Jan 28, 2012
- Kareena, Imran pairing USP of 'Ek Main...': Karan - Dec 15, 2011
- B-Town excited about Karan Johar's birthday bash - May 23, 2012
- My birthday party my biggest hit, says Karan Johar - Jun 14, 2012
- I have tasted blood, now don't know what next: Karan Johar - Jan 28, 2012
- Why is Karan upset with the Khans? - Sep 06, 2012
- Karan Johar overwhelmed by birthday messages - May 25, 2010
- Kareena is magic: Imran Khan - Dec 22, 2011
- Karan Johar takes potshots at his own mushy movies - May 27, 2010
- Karan Johar: A Designer In The Making - Jan 05, 2011
- 'SOTY' huge responsibility for Karan Johar - Aug 12, 2012
- Male pairs: Twist in the Bollywood tale - May 12, 2011
- 'Heroine' trailer crosses 2 mn hits on YouTube (Movie Snippets) - Aug 01, 2012
Tags: abhishek bachchan, background music, bollywood, filmmaker, global economic recession, imran khan, kajol, kal ho naa, kal ho naa ho, karan johar, kuch kuch hota hai, listers, mansukhani, public interest, salim, shah rukh, short films, subhash k jha, suleiman, writer friend