Kaifi Azmi’s ‘Kaifiyat’ releasedMay 11th, 2008 - 4:24 pm ICT by admin
Mumbai, May 11 (IANS) To mark the sixth death anniversary of veteran lyricist, poet and writer Kaifi Azmi, an audio CD - titled “Kaifiyat” - on some of the best works of the poet in Urdu, recited by the poet himself, was re-released here. The release function Saturday was attended by his family members including his wife Shaukat, daughter Shabana Azmi, son Baba Azmi, daughter-in-law Tanvi Azmi, son-in-law Javed Akhtar and CEO Big Music and Home Entertainment Kulmeet Makkar.
Shabana said in the Indian sub-continent there is a tradition of poets reciting their works in front of an audience. A poet’s work is seldom recorded and released as people think that their voice is not fit.
“But Kaifi Saab had a distinct voice and his style of reciting was unique. This is indeed a tribute to the great poet.”
“Kaifi Saab lived a life performing multiple activities. He was a poet, lyricist, writer, actor, social activist and a revolutionist. He had been successful in all the roles and had created a niche for himself,” said Akhtar.
He said Kaifi had lived an accomplished life excelling in all the fields and “very few people could live such a life”.
Big Music & Home Entertainment CEO Kulmeet Makkar said: “Kaifi’s poems on various issues compelled people to think on the subject.”
Born to a family of landlords in Mejwan in Azamgarh district of Uttar Pradesh, Kaifi began his career as a ghazal writer.
His early works in writing for films include “Yahudi Ki Beti” in 1956, and “Miss Punjab Mail” and “Id Ka Chand” in 1959.
His accomplishment as a writer was Chetan Anand’s “Heer Ranjha” in 1970. As a lyricist, he penned lyrics for numerous hit films including Guru Dutt’s “Kagaz Ke Phool”, Chetan Anand’s “Haqeeqat”, and “Uski Kahani”, “Bawarchi”, “Pakeezah”, “Hanste Zakhm”, and “Razia Sultan”.
Kaifi won the national award and filmfare award for the screenplay and dialogue of M.S. Sathyu’s master piece “Garam Hawa”. He acted in Saeed Mirza’s award winning film “Naseem”. He was also conferred the Padma Shri, Maharashtra Gaurav Award, Yuva Bharatiya Award, and the Afro-Asian Writers Lotus Award besides several other awards.
- Shabana handpicks dad's songs for compilation - Jan 14, 2012
- I'm humbled, says Shabana after Padma Bhushan - Jan 25, 2012
- Rajya Sabha clears copyright bill, B-Town hails Javed Akhtar - May 18, 2012
- Ranbir to auction his portrait to support girl child - Jun 16, 2011
- Indian stars in Pakistan for Faiz's birth anniversary - Feb 11, 2011
- Bollywood Hot-shots To Walk For Mijwan Girl-Child – A Project Taken By Shabana Azmi - Jan 13, 2011
- Indian stars enthral Pakistanis at Lahore peace fest - Feb 14, 2011
- Finally, Shabana-Tabu come together - Feb 11, 2010
- Prasoon favours meaningful songs over brash lyrics - Jan 16, 2012
- My and Mira's happiness doubled with Padma Bhushan: Shabana - Jan 27, 2012
- Finally Shabana Azmi calls up Tabu for mum! - Feb 11, 2010
- Shaukat wants film version of 'Kaifi and I' - Feb 10, 2010
- This is a very good time for actors: Shabana Azmi (Interview) - Jul 29, 2010
- Shabana honoured with Taj Enlighten Tareef Award - Sep 19, 2010
- Shabana, Dr No, is a perfectionist: Javed Akhtar - Dec 11, 2011
Tags: audience, audio cd, ceo, death anniversary, distinct voice, family members, home entertainment, indian sub continent, kaifi azmi, lyricist, makkar, niche, poet, poets, revolutionist, saab, shabana azmi, social activist, tanvi azmi, tribute