Kabir Bedi, Dimple Kapadia become king, queen of Valaya’s kingdom (With Images)March 23rd, 2009 - 2:11 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, March 23 (IANS) He kept the his guests, buyers and the media waiting for a maddening two hours at the grand finale of the Wills Lifestyle India Fashion Week (WIFW). But couture czar J.J. Valaya proved that his show was worth the wait as Bollywood veterans Kabir Bedi and Dimple Kapadia walked the ramp.
A kingdom’s story from gloom to glory - that was the transformation that Valaya attempted to showcase through his collection at WIFW held late Sunday night.
Fallen pillars, dull lighting, a leafless tree - the first setting of the finale indicated gloom, despair and destruction as models sashayed down the ramp wearing black and white coats, dresses and jackets.
This was followed by a phase when the veil of darkness lifted and the ambience changed from black and white to dull yellow. There were bubbles all over the hall before the models walked in clothes in brighter tones like red, brown and orange.
This culminated into an all gold and glitter collection that suggested glamour and celebration in the kingdom. The set was magically transformed into a bright stage - fallen pillars now stood erect, multiple chandeliers went up, a chunk of lights were pulled up from amid the audience - the ambience was royal as models walked in clothes exuding opulence.
The attire ranged from jackets, jodhpurs and tops matched with skirts and dresses along with exquisite and elaborate jewellery by studio Amrapali.
The show reached its apogee when Kabir and Dimple appeared on the T-point of the ramp, looking ethereal in their white and cream attire and bewitching jewels. As the “King and Queen” of Valaya’s “Kingdom Of Love” (the name of his collection), they walked the ramp with panache.
While Kabir was garbed in a sherwani teamed with a shawl and a unique crown in place, Dimple looked resplendent in a white Indian suit and a stole. The spectators cheered as the two walked further down and Kabir kissed Dimple’s hand.
When Valaya took a proud walk on the stage, the audience gave him a standing ovation after which he stood along with his models and showstoppers, while flakes of gold fell over them.
According to Valaya, the line celebrates optimism, colour and energy that transcends the disturbed world of today.
“If you look around, there is just depression, negativity and violence… my line showcases the bright side of life,” Valaya told IANS.
The front row saw former cricketer Mohammed Azharuddin, actor Jas Arora and Minister for Women and Child Development Renuka Choudhary, who came to cheer her daughter Tejaswini, who made her debut on the ramp.
- Katrina, Imran bring curtains down at VHIMW - Sep 05, 2011
- Turkish Empire recreated on ramp - Feb 20, 2012
- Embroidery, motifs dominate JJ Valaya's couture line (With Image) - Aug 09, 2012
- If Deepika Padukone has a Christian wedding - Oct 11, 2011
- A grandeur opening by Varun Bahl for DCW - Aug 09, 2012
- Vidya present to support Sabyasachi at WIFW finale - Apr 11, 2011
- Malani Ramani? It's Malini! (WIFW Diary) - Oct 24, 2010
- Bollywood marks its presence on fourth day at WIFW - Apr 10, 2011
- JJ Valaya 'clicks' with the LFW audience - Aug 18, 2011
- Rohit Bal displays 'Shanti' with Arjun Rampal on ramp - Jul 26, 2011
- Malaika and Amrita walk the ramp for Vikram Phadnis - Mar 03, 2012
- Taufiq Qureshi steals WIFW show with vocal percussions - Feb 19, 2012
- 'Zangoora' stars walk the ramp at WIFW - Oct 28, 2010
- Dia, Sameera cheer for Shantanu-Nikhil - Feb 15, 2012
- My collection inspired by today's Marilyn Monroe: Ritu Beri - Aug 04, 2012
Tags: apogee, chandeliers, czar, dimple kapadia, dull yellow, gloom, grand finale, india fashion week, j j valaya, jodhpurs, kabir bedi, king and queen, king queen, opulence, panache, shawl, sherwani, veil of darkness, white coats, wills lifestyle india fashion week