Julie Andrews to receive lifetime achievement Grammy awardDecember 23rd, 2010 - 12:16 pm ICT by ANI
London, Dec 23 (ANI): Dame Julie Andrews will receive a lifetime achievement Grammy award for her contribution to music.
The ‘Mary Poppins’ star will get the honour alongside country star Dolly Parton and punk rock group The Ramones.
The Juilliard String Quartet, jazz drummer Roy Haynes, folk group The Kingston Trio and gospel singer George Beverly Shea will also receive awards.
The awards will be given out at a special ceremony on 12 February.
Dame Julie made her Broadway debut in 1954 and has a career, which spans more than 60 years.
The singer and actress has won a Grammy before, taking home the 1964 award for best recording for children for her role in ‘Mary Poppins’.
It is the first time The Recording Academy has honoured punk pioneers The Ramones - famed for songs like ‘Blitzkrieg Bop’ and their cover of Baby, ‘I Love You’.
“It is a great honour to recognize and celebrate such a distinguished and dynamic group of honourees who have been the creators of such timeless art,” the BBC quoted Neil Portnow, president of the Academy, as saying.
“These influential performers and brilliant innovators have been of great inspiration to our culture and industry. Their legendary work has left a lasting impression and will continue to influence generations to come,” he said. (ANI)
- Julie Andrews to get lifetime achievement Grammy - Dec 23, 2010
- Lady Gaga, Eminem bag top honours at Grammys (Roundup) - Feb 14, 2011
- Steve Jobs to be honoured with Grammy award - Dec 22, 2011
- Mick Jagger to perform at Grammy Awards - Feb 04, 2011
- Jennifer Hudson pays tribute to Whitney Houston - Feb 13, 2012
- 25 new inductees into Grammy Hall of Fame - Nov 22, 2011
- Pop star Whitney Houston dies at 48 (Second Lead) - Feb 12, 2012
- Michael Jackson to get lifetime achievement Grammy - Dec 11, 2009
- Julianne Hough's dress at the Grammy Awards 2012 is a hit - Feb 13, 2012
- Whitney Houston: Another star falls (Roundup) - Feb 12, 2012
- Sir Tom Jones to be honoured for outstanding music contribution - Jun 02, 2010
- Kanye West tops 54th Grammy nominations with seven - Dec 01, 2011
- Gaga to receive charity hero award - Nov 22, 2011
- Gospel Singer Albertina Walker Dies At 81 - Oct 09, 2010
- McCartney to get top French honour - Sep 04, 2012
Tags: broadway debut, country star, dame julie andrews, dolly parton, dynamic group, folk group, george beverly shea, gospel singer, jazz drummer, juilliard string quartet, julie andrews, kingston trio, legendary work, lifetime achievement grammy, neil portnow president, punk pioneers, punk rock group, recording academy, roy haynes, timeless art