Juhi Chawla’s uncle freed in Pakistan after six monthsApril 12th, 2009 - 8:11 pm ICT by IANS
Karachi, April 12 (IANS) Well-known Pakistani film producer and distributor Satish Anand, an uncle of Bollywood actress Juhi Chawla, was freed by his abductors after six months in captivity for a ransom of Rs.10.6 million, media reports said Sunday.
Anand, who had served as Pakistan’s censor board chairman, was kidnapped Oct 20 last year by two unidentified gunmen while he was on his way home here.
According to The News, law enforcement agencies traced the kidnappers to Pakistan’s North West Frontier Province (NWFP) and engaged in a negotiation for his release.
On Saturday, officials posing as family members of the film producer delivered the ransom money to the kidnappers, who belong to a faction of the Harkat-ul-Jihad-i-Islami (HuJI), in NWFP’s Bannu region, the report said.
After safely securing Anand, the officials launched a crackdown on the group and arrested five suspects.
Meanwhile, Anand is said to have been shifted to Islamabad.
The HuJI group, headed by Ilyas Kashmiri, had earlier demanded a huge ransom for releasing Anand, but later settled for Rs.10.6 million.
- Freedom for Juhi Chawla's uncle - Apr 14, 2009
- UN, US designate HuJI as terrorist organisation - Aug 07, 2010
- Ilyas Kashmiri killed in US drone strike, HuJi confirms death - Jun 04, 2011
- Al Qaeda commander Ilyas Kashmiri is alive: Dawn - Jul 16, 2011
- Don't give data on us to India, Pakistan warned - Jul 10, 2011
- Pakistan asks India to rectify 'Most Wanted' list - May 30, 2011
- Headley worked with FBI for capture of Mumbai mastermind - Jun 01, 2011
- Six terrorists get life term for plot to kidnap Sachin - Jan 15, 2011
- HuJi link to Delhi attack on Israelis? - Feb 21, 2012
- Pakistan's Harkat-ul-Jihad Islami declared terror group (Lead) - Aug 07, 2010
- US declines to confirm Ilyas Kashmiri's killing - Jun 07, 2011
- Plot to abduct Sachin: Eight-year jail terms for six (Lead) - Jan 23, 2012
- India needs comprehensive plan to fight terror: Pakistani daily - Sep 09, 2011
- US, UN declare Ilyas Kashmiri's HuJI 'terrorist group' - Aug 07, 2010
- Plot to kidnap Sachin: Six terrorists get life term (Lead) - Jan 15, 2011
Tags: abductors, bannu, board chairman, captivity, crackdown, faction, film producer, frontier province, harkat ul, huji, juhi chawla, kashmiri, kidnappers, law enforcement agencies, north west frontier, nwfp, pakistani film, ransom money, satish, unidentified gunmen