‘Judi Dench factor’ always spark swearing complaintsJune 24th, 2009 - 5:17 pm ICT by ANI
London, June 24 (ANI): When it comes to actors swearing in films, the viewers can pardon any star other than Dame Judi Dench for using foul language on screen, according to the British Board of Film Classification (BBFC).
The BBFC says that there exists a phenomenon, called the “Judi Dench factor”, which makes filmgoers less forgiving towards Britain’s most distinguished actress talk tough.
In its annual report, the BBFC, which is responsible for awarding film ratings, has revealed that four of the six complaints it received about the James Bond film ‘Quantum of Solace’ related to the language of Dame Judi’s character M.
The film has a 12A rating and contains several violent scenes.
“Almost every time Dame Judi swears in a film, regardless of its category, we can expect a number of complaints,” the Telegraph quoted the BBFC as saying in its report.
The film prompted only one complaint about violence and two from viewers who mistook a shadow on a woman’s leg for her genitalia.
“The remainder were upset by the film’s languagethis may be attributed to the ‘Judi Dench factor,’” the report said.
It further added: “This beloved actress plays M, Bond’s tough-talking boss. However, it was her tough talking which upset the viewers.”
A spokeswoman for the BBFC said that although Dame Judi used a swear word comfortably placed in a 12A film “it seems that she should not use such language.” (ANI)
- Britain complains most about 'The Woman In Black' - Jul 13, 2012
- Dame Judi Dench dating wildlife conservationist? - May 16, 2011
- Dame Judi Dench hates complaints about her on-screen swearing - Sep 12, 2009
- It's Judi Dench not Cruise for Mulligan - Sep 19, 2010
- Judi Dench voted greatest stage star - Dec 17, 2010
- Dame Judi Dench breaks her toes - Feb 17, 2011
- Dame Judi Dench hailed as Greatest Stage Star Of All Time - Dec 16, 2010
- Next Bond flick to be Dame Judi Dench's last? - Apr 11, 2010
- Dame Judi Dench to return as James Bond's boss - Jan 29, 2011
- Judi Dench lets slip top secret date of next 007 film - Mar 27, 2011
- New 'James Bond' movie named 'Skyfall' - Nov 03, 2011
- Albert Finney onboard for the new James Bond movie - Nov 01, 2011
- Brit minister says kids must see women's rights film full of F-word fusillade - Oct 25, 2010
- Dame Judi Dench always wanted to work with Clint Eastwood - Jan 26, 2011
- Judi Dench receives top BFI honour - Jun 24, 2011
Tags: 12a, annual report, bbfc, beloved actress, british board of film classification, dame judi dench, film ratings, foul language, genitalia, james bond film, judi dench, june 24, phenomenon, quantum, remainder, solace, spokeswoman, talking boss, telegraph, violent scenes