Jude Law talks about Sherlock HolmesMay 7th, 2009 - 4:32 pm ICT by ANI
New Delhi, May 7 (ANI): According to Jude Law, foul language, homoerotic overtones and bare-knuckle fighting are Sherlock Holmes’ “quintessential parts.”
The 36-year-old actor plays Holmes’ faithful sidekick Dr. Watson in Guy Ritchie’s new adaptation of the classic detective tale.
Law doesn’t believe writers sexed up the script, reports The China Daily.
He said: “The physicality, the bare-knuckle fighting, the martial arts are all hinted at in the books. We just hold a magnifying glass over them.
“A word that author Arthur Conan Doyle uses an awful lot is ‘apprehended’. As in, ‘Holmes and Watson apprehend the villain.’ We get to show the apprehension.”
He explained: “There are many duos we wanted to draw from. Something as eccentric as ‘The Odd Couple’ to ‘Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid’, ‘Withnail and I’ and ‘Laurel and Hardy’.
“The friendship between Holmes and Watson is the kind of friendship you can only have with someone of the same sex, a person you adore but who infuriates you.”
Robert Downey Jr., who plays Holmes, found his inspiration in Arthur Conan Doyle’s original text.
He added to the USA Today newspaper: “Initially, we were just infusing the dialogue with Doyle-isms. Now we tend to speak a little more on his behalf. Truth be told, we have been working our butts off. We’ve been at it for a long, long, long time.” (ANI)
- Homosexual Holmes, Watson in sequel? - Jan 04, 2010
- 'Sherlock Holmes - A Game of Shadows' predictable, but witty and intelligent (IANS Movie Review) - Dec 30, 2011
- Jude Law fascinated at rediscovering 'Sherlock Holmes' - Jan 01, 2010
- 'Sherlock Holmes' was grumpy: Downey Jr. - Aug 29, 2011
- Making Sherlock Holmes gay could land Guy Ritchie in trouble - Aug 04, 2009
- Sherlock Holmes returns - from Nepal - Jun 18, 2010
- Anthony Horowitz vows to keep Sherlock Holmes 'exactly' the same - Jan 19, 2011
- Redford blames self for son's death - Jan 23, 2011
- Sherlock Holmes book goes digital on iPhone, iPad - Feb 18, 2011
- Butch Cassidy to make a comeback without Sundance Kid - Mar 25, 2010
- 35 years on, the 'Sholay' fire still burns - Jul 24, 2010
- Jude Law didn't know anything about Sherlock Holmes! - Jan 06, 2010
- Guy Ritchies Sherlock Holmes will be gay - Feb 22, 2009
- James Bond, Sherlock Holmes to be resurrected in new novels - Jan 18, 2011
- Jude Law "happy" to play reinvented Dr Watson in 'Sherlock Holmes' - Dec 24, 2009
Tags: arthur conan doyle, author arthur conan, butch cassidy and the sundance, butch cassidy and the sundance kid, china daily, dr watson, faithful sidekick, foul language, guy ritchie, holmes and watson, jude law, laurel and hardy, long long time, magnifying glass, physicality, robert downey, robert downey jr, sherlock holmes, usa today, withnail and i