Joy Mitra’s WIFW line an ode to TagoreOctober 10th, 2011 - 5:55 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Oct 10 (IANS) Joy Mitra has found a novel way to pay tribute to Rabindranath Tagore. The designer has churned out a line with prints of the Nobel laureate’s poems, paintings and portraits at the Wills Lifestyle India Fashion week (WIFW).
“Rabindranath Tagore was a revolutionary in the true sense. The world-renowned poet, novelist, playwright and painter has given us so many memorable poems that I took this opportunity to recall his work through clothes,” Mitra told IANS.
“I have used his beautiful portraits, paintings and poems in my latest collection. Also, his signature will be a part of some of the clothes. He was not only an avid traveller, but also a multi-cultural man and this will be my tribute to the legendary individual,” he added.
The exclusive line comprises 32 pieces.
The Kolkata-based designer is targeting modern women who don’t hesitate to try out new looks.
“The collection will be an amalgamation of anarkalis, kurtas and western dresses in earthy tones and target the young and modern women who want to experiment every single day,” said Mitra, who will be showcasing the line Oct 12.
Since the line has traces of Bengali culture and tradition, the designer had tried to rope in Soha Ali Khan to walk the ramp, but due to the death of her father Mansur Ali Khan Pataudi, the actress had to decline the offer.
“Soha sent me a message, apologising for not taking part in my show. I completely respect her feelings, so I thought of not calling anybody else to replace her,” Mitra said.
- Being a nawab is huge responsibility: Saif - Nov 02, 2011
- My father would've been touched, says Saif - Sep 23, 2011
- Pataudi's funeral at family burial ground - Sep 23, 2011
- Sharmila-Pataudi made perfect couple, say designers - Sep 23, 2011
- More Tagore works should be translated in Hindi: Sharmila Tagore - Jul 17, 2010
- Saif annointed 10th Nawab of Pataudi - Oct 31, 2011
- A Punjabi politician's ode to Tagore - Nov 15, 2011
- Joy Mitra brings 'Malgudi Days', Sharmila Tagore to ramp - Apr 07, 2011
- SRK remembers Pataudi as friend's friend - Sep 23, 2011
- The prince and the showgirl - a love story ends - Sep 22, 2011
- Making style statement with Tagore kitsch - May 07, 2010
- Pakistan cricket mourns Pataudi's death - Sep 23, 2011
- Tiger played with straight bat on and off the field (Obituary) - Sep 22, 2011
- Eight Bangladeshi artists interpret Tagore on canvas - May 16, 2011
- Gulzar misses his Mansur, the true patriot - Sep 24, 2011
Tags: amalgamation, apologising, bengali culture, earthy tones, india fashion week, memorable poems, modern women, New Delhi, nobel laureate, novelist, playwright, rabindranath tagore, ramp, renowned poet, rope, single day, soha ali khan, true sense, western dresses, wills lifestyle india fashion week