Journalists protest road renamingMay 23rd, 2012 - 4:15 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, May 23 (IANS) Journalists in south Delhi’s Saket area are upset that the road linking their colony has been changed from Press Enclave Marg to Pt. Trilok Chand Sharma Road.
“It is beyond our imagination that you go on changing age-old and accepted names of roads,” a memorandum submitted to Chief Minister Sheila Dikshit Wednesday said.
The memorandum expressed shock “that the name of Press Enclave Marg, in popular usage for decades, has got suddenly obliterated and renamed” without giving any public notice.
“(This is an) uncalled for change,” the Press Association Cooperative Group Housing Society said in the memorandum.
“We have nothing against Trilok Chand Sharma but the renaming is unjustified,” society president Som Sapru told Dikshit.
Press Enclave was the first cooperative group housing society launched in Delhi. The complex in Saket is respected for for its architectural design.
It houses journalist communities belonging to several national dailies, magazines and electronic media.
“So so it was quite apt that the then urban development minister had named the road connecting (it) as Press Enclave Marg,” the memorandum added.
Sapru told IANS: “Dikshit has promised to have the issue examined.”
- Press Enclave Road gets its name back - May 29, 2012
- Delhi's pottery market survives amid posh malls (With Images) - Jan 17, 2012
- MCD elections: Sheila attacks BJP - Mar 12, 2012
- 'Park and Ride' or 'Park and Walk' to Games venues - Aug 29, 2010
- Ex-registrar convicted in housing scam - Aug 29, 2012
- ICWA to have think tank linkage with Colombo institute - Mar 09, 2012
- Don't rename Chandni Chowk, MCD told (Lead) - Jan 05, 2012
- 'Odisha' it is - with sweets and shrugs! - Nov 05, 2011
- Attack on judges: Delhi lawyers observe strike - May 18, 2012
- Civic body can't rename Chandni Chowk: Delhi government - Jan 05, 2012
- R-Day Parade rehearsal hits traffic - Jan 23, 2012
- Protests outside Sibal, Mukherjee, Dikshit's houses (Lead) - Aug 22, 2011
- NDMC launches disaster management centre - Feb 19, 2011
- Man held for killing business rival - Nov 17, 2011
- What's impeding investment? Indonesian MPs cite Nandigram (Lead) - Dec 22, 2011
Tags: architectural design, chief minister, cooperative group, decades, development minister, electronic media, housing society, imagination, journalist, journalists, marg, memorandum, national dailies, New Delhi, saket, sheila dikshit, shock, society president, south delhi, urban development