Journalist held for road rage shootingNovember 30th, 2011 - 10:03 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Nov 30 (IANS) In an incident of road rage, a 50-year-old journalist, working with a prominent web newspaper, was arrested in the capital for shooting at a man after the victim’s car had brushed against his, police said Wednesday.
Journalist Arun Kumar Pandey was arrested from Vasant Kunj in south Delhi at 2 p.m. for firing at Jagbir Singh, 60, who miraculously escaped as the bullet hit his belt buckle, a police official said.
The incident took place at Church Road, 100 metres away from Fortis hospital in Vasant Kunj sector A in south Delhi.
Police said Pandey, a resident of Raj Nagar in Ghaziabad, Uttar Pradesh, was on his way to Andheria Mor from Mahipalpur when his Hyundai i-10 was brushed by Singh’s car, an Esteem, while the latter was trying to take a u-turn.
The two alighted from their cars and entered into an altercation. Two of Singh’s relatives, who were also in the car, joined in the quarrel.
In a fit of rage, Pandey fired twice in the air and once at Singh with his licensed automatic pistol, police said.
“We received a call and a police van soon reached there. They found Pandey standing beside his car,” said Deputy Commissioner of Police Chhaya Sharma.
Pandey told the police that he had fired thrice in the air to save himself from being physically assaulted by Singh and his relatives who fled from the spot after hitting his car. He surrendered himself and his licensed pistol to the police.
Police called Singh, a resident of Gurgaon in Haryana, for questioning. Singh told them that he came to Vasant Kunj for his daughter’s pre-wedding ceremony and while taking a u-turn his car brushed against Pandey’s, which led to an altercation and the firing.
He told police that Pandey aimed at him but it was his belt buckle that saved him. In fear he fled the spot. “We found enough evidence that shows that a bullet hit the buckle. There is a proper dent mark on the buckle and burn marks on Singh’s body,” said Sharma.
Police also verified Pandey’s claim that the fired thrice. Police found only three used cartridges from the spot.
“We have booked Pandey under section Section 307 (attempt to murder) of Indian Penal Code,” she added.
Police are still trying to probe the circumstances that made Pandey fire over such a minor issue.
Pandey is lodged behind bars at the Vasant Kunj police station and will be presented in court Thursday.
- Some recent road-rage incidents (To go with On Delhi roads, tempers rise with temperatures) - Apr 06, 2012
- Two Rajasthan businessmen held for raping Delhi student - Nov 22, 2011
- SP leader's son shot dead in Ghaziabad - Aug 12, 2012
- Businessman attacked in Delhi - Jun 20, 2011
- One held for Delhi road rage shooting - Sep 01, 2011
- Delhi Police ASI shoots head constable (Lead) - Dec 21, 2011
- Woodland manager gunned down outside Ghaziabad home - Jul 20, 2012
- Three men abduct driver, rob car in Delhi - May 29, 2012
- Soldier kills colleague in Kashmir - Mar 25, 2011
- Property dealer shot dead in Ghaziabad - Dec 15, 2010
- BJP legislator's son shot dead in UP - May 08, 2012
- Ghaziabad chain snatcher shoots himself while fleeing - Mar 18, 2012
- Drugs turn three youths into murderers - Oct 13, 2011
- Police await forensic reports on Jakhar's death - Jan 19, 2011
- Speeding Mercedes kills man, driver held - Jan 09, 2012
Tags: altercation, arun kumar, automatic pistol, commissioner of police, delhi police, deputy commissioner, fortis, gurgaon, haryana, journalist, New Delhi, police official, police police, police van, quarrel, road rage, south delhi, u turn, uttar pradesh, wedding ceremony