“Jordan killing publishing industry with her book”October 23rd, 2009 - 2:20 pm ICT by ANI
London, Oct 23 (ANI): In an outburst against the growing trend of celebrity novels, Lynda La Plante, the doyenne of crime fiction, has hit out at glamour model Katie Price, a.k.a Jordan, insisting she’s terrible thing for young girls.
The comments from La Plante, who has written best-sellers including Above Suspicion and the scripts for television series such as Prime Suspect, which starred Dame Helen Mirren, raised eyebrows at The Specsavers Crime Thriller Awards, held at the Grosvenor House Hotel, in Mayfair, where she was inducted into the Hall of Fame.
“Publishers, stop spending your millions on this tripe,” the Telegraph quoted her as saying.
“The publishing industry is going to implode. They can’t pay the millions to these celebrities. If we don’t cut through the dross, this trite tripe… these reality TV writers who are here for their 15 minutes of fame.
“Katie Price’s book outsold the Booker Prize list. She’s a terrible thing for young girls who just want pink welly boots,” she added.
The awards ceremony was attended by Martine McCutcheon, the former EastEnders actress, whose debut novel, The Mistress, is published next month.
McCutcheon’s authorial skills have been roundly trashed since the first chapter of her debut novel was posted online by publisher Pan Macmillan recently.
But that was to be nothing compared to the critique handed out by author La Plante.
La Plante said: “I have nothing against Martine McCutcheon, but who knows what she was paid.” (ANI)
- Cheryl Cole's Blood Group Diet Slammed by Health Experts - Dec 16, 2010
- Mick Hucknall opens up about his "three-a-day" sex habit - Dec 03, 2010
- Sienna Miller comes forward for Haiti relief - Feb 23, 2010
- Liverpool take over battle gets murkier with arrival of mystery bidder - Oct 06, 2010
- Probiotic drinks, yogurts 'do not aid digestion' - Oct 20, 2010
- Katie Price's latest lover smitten by her talents - Apr 07, 2011
- Stewart working on first novel - Apr 03, 2012
- Lynda Carter Can Sing Too? - Sep 14, 2010
- Ricky Martin fans to celebrate his 40th birthday - Dec 24, 2011
- Something 'un-French' about this Frenchman - Oct 20, 2011
- Katy Perry gets comic book treatment - Jun 08, 2012
- Lynda Carter, The Memorable Actress Of 'Wonder Woman', Wards Off Barking Dog Charge - Jul 11, 2010
- Lynda La Plante says "depressing" BBC would opt for 'little Muslim boy's script over mine' - Jan 02, 2010
- Sandra Bullock the right choice to play Wonder Woman: Lynda Carter - Mar 26, 2010
- Neil Diamond gets Walk of Fame honour - Aug 12, 2012
Tags: 15 minutes of fame, book london, booker prize list, crime fiction, crime thriller, dame helen mirren, debut novel, dross, eastenders, glamour model, grosvenor house hotel, hall of fame, helen mirren, katie price, martine mccutcheon, pan macmillan, prime suspect, terrible thing, tv writers, welly boots