Jon Secada calls himself a `workingman of music’February 15th, 2012 - 12:10 pm ICT by IANS
Cancun (Mexico), Feb 15 (IANS/EFE) Cuban-American singer-songwriter Jon Secada has said that his 20-year musical career has convinced him that “it’s the song that rules” and so his role is to be a “workingman of music”.
“I’m thrilled I’m still doing what I like to do - I’m very much a family man, very close to my children, to my family in general, my 13-year-old girl and my son who is nine, very important ages,” he told EFE before a concert at the Mexican seaside resort of Cancun.
The artist has won two Grammys and a Latin Grammy and sold more than 20 million albums.
“Right now we’re promoting the new production ‘Otra Vez’ (Once More), all in Spanish. The new production is super-pop, Latino pop, it reminds me a lot of the beginning of my career,” he said.
Secada, who was born in 1962 in Havana but developed his musical bent in Miami, said he never saw himself with a career as a composer, except for writing a song for someone in particular and with the idea of making sure “it was good song”.
He recalled the song “Bella” (Beautiful), which became a hit when Ricky Martin sang it.
“I wrote ‘Bella’ to be part of my career, part of my album, but Ricky Martin heard it at a studio one day and by the end of that day I gave him the song as if he had written it. That’s the beautiful thing about being a composer, you take so much care and give a lot of affection to the process of writing it - and from then on the song creates its own personality,” he said.
- Teen music prodigy composes for top Latino artists - Dec 06, 2011
- Estefano relives shooting in a song - Jun 12, 2012
- Ricky Martin wraps up world tour - Nov 14, 2011
- Puerto Rican rapper releases new album - Nov 02, 2011
- Romeo Santos tops Billboard's Latin songs charts - Dec 16, 2011
- Composer of hits for Daddy Yankee releases single - Jun 01, 2011
- Wisin, Yandel hope for P.Diddy collaboration on new disc - Aug 17, 2011
- Ricky Martin happy with family, return to Broadway - Feb 14, 2012
- Ricky Martin's new album doing well - Feb 10, 2011
- Noelia to launch singles from new album in US, Europe - Mar 19, 2012
- Elvis Crespo releases new album - May 02, 2012
- Musician blends mariachi with country - Jul 25, 2012
- Ricky Martin nominated for award for `Evita' role - Apr 28, 2012
- Alexis launches disc after three years working on it - Dec 14, 2011
- Former Miss Universe to release first album - Aug 03, 2011
Tags: affection, american singer, beautiful thing, cuban american, efe, family man, grammys, havana, jon secada, latin grammy, mexico, musical career, old girl, personality, pop latino, ricky, ricky martin, seaside resort, singer songwriter, workingman