Jolies Wanted ad banned for glamorising violenceMarch 18th, 2009 - 2:41 pm ICT by ANI
London, Mar 18 (ANI): A television advert for the Angelina Jolie action film Wanted has been banned after the industry watchdog ruled it glamorises violence.
The ad showed Jolie kissing co-star James McAvoy during a high-speed car chase, and both firing guns towards the viewer, reports Sky News.
The advert quoted press reviews of the film describing the actress performance as “blazingly sexy” and has a voice-over describing Wanted as the coolest movie of the year.
The Advertising Standards Authority (ASA) ruled the advert gave the overall impression “that using guns was sexy and glamorous” and breached the code for television.
The advert for the DVD release of Wanted had been restricted from being shown at times when young children were likely to be watching but the ASA concluded that was “insufficient”.
Universal Pictures was told the advert must not be broadcast again in its current form.
But the studio hit back and said some people did not like to see a woman in a strong lead role.
Universal told the ASA the advert reflected that the 18 certificate film and was based on a comic book.
The ASA received just one complaint about the advert. (ANI)
- Angelina Jolie "Wanted" poster banned in UK - Sep 04, 2008
- Angelina Jolie signed 'Wanted' because of James McAvoy - Aug 13, 2010
- Kristen Stewart to replace Angelina Jolie in 'Wanted' sequel? - Jun 19, 2010
- Kristen Stewart to replace Jolie in 'Wanted 2'? - Apr 23, 2010
- Jolie flashes her peachy rear in Wanted - Nov 20, 2008
- Angelina Jolie to return for 'Wanted' sequel? - Aug 29, 2009
- Jolies Wanted posters under fire for glamorising violence, gun crime - Sep 03, 2008
- Brit fashion brand falls foul of advertising rules with naked models - Apr 06, 2011
- Jolie insists she's naturally fit - Jul 10, 2010
- Sofa King advert banned by UK Advt Standards Agency - Mar 01, 2012
- TalkTalk UK's safest broadband ad banned - Jan 04, 2012
- James McAvoy to star in 'Trance' - Jun 25, 2011
- 'Anti-German' radio ad banned in UK - Jan 20, 2010
- Yves Saint Laurent perfume 'drug simulation' advert banned - Feb 02, 2011
- Lautner may join cast of 'X-Men: First Class' - Jul 05, 2010
Tags: action film, actress, advertising standards authority, angelina jolie, asa, car chase, co star, comic book, firing guns, high speed, industry watchdog, james mcavoy, lead role, london, sky news, speed car, television advert, violence