Johnny Depp apologizes for his commentsOctober 5th, 2011 - 9:48 pm ICT by Aishwarya Bhatt
New York, Oct 5 (THAINDIAN NEWS) Actor Johnny Depp has apologized for the rape comment that he made in the November edition of the Vanity Fair magazine. The Pirates of Caribbean star came under pressure when he compared photo shoots to being raped. Some critics claimed that the comments were insensitive to those who have suffered sexual violence.
In the November edition of the Vanity Fair magazine, Depp said he feels weird whenever he has to undergo photo shoot. Shortly after the comment was made public, America’s largest anti-sexual harassment organization, the Rape, Abuse and Incest National Network (RAINN), condemned him.
RAINN said undergoing a photo shoot cannot be compared to being raped. A spokesperson RAINN told FOX411’s Pop Tarts column that the organization is seeking the opportunity to meet with Depp and explain certain things to him.
Depp acknowledged the error on his part and subsequently issued an apology on Tuesday.
He said that, “I am truly sorry for offending anyone in any way. I never meant to. It was a poor choice of words on my part in an effort to explain a feeling. I understand there is no comparison and I am very regretful. In an effort to correct my lack of judgment, please accept my heartfelt apology.”
RAINN says they have accepted the apology and looks forward to having a fruitful relationship with the actor in the future.
- Kristen Stewart's rape comment irks rape crisis groups - Jun 03, 2010
- Kristen Stewart aplogises for rape statement - Jun 06, 2010
- Kate Middleton's parents do their bit for the royal wedding - Mar 15, 2011
- Ricky Martin poses for photos for first time with his kids - Mar 22, 2012
- Kristen Stewart faces criticism for rape remarks - Jun 04, 2010
- Kristen Stewart apologizes for 'insensitive' rape comment - Jun 05, 2010
- Pattinson is die hard fan of Charlie Sheen - Mar 03, 2011
- Katie Holmes wins case against tabloid for calling her a 'drug addict' - Apr 28, 2011
- William & Kate featured on the cover page of Vanity Fair - Jun 01, 2011
- Vanity Fair unveil their 2011 Hollywood issue - Feb 02, 2011
- Shanna Marie McLaughlin's Photo Shoot In UCF Locker Room Draws Attention - Aug 10, 2010
- Katie Holmes settles with the Star Magazine - Apr 28, 2011
- Gaga's nude sketch sold for $30,000 - Dec 26, 2011
- Jolie, Liz Taylor have the ability to 'swear like a sailor': Johnny Depp - Jan 06, 2011
- When Gaga posed nude for Tony Bennett - Nov 27, 2011
Tags: actor johnny depp, caribbean star, choice of words, fruitful relationship, heartfelt apology, incest national network, johnny depp, judgment, oct 5, photo shoots, pirates of caribbean, poor choice of words, pop tarts, rainn, rape abuse, sexual harassment, sexual violence, spokesperson, vanity fair, vanity fair magazine