John “Stuttering” MelendezMay 30th, 2009 - 7:57 pm ICT by GD
John Melendez presently works as the announcer for “The Tonight Show with Jay Leno,” which saw its last episode on Friday night. After a run for 17 years, and appearances from prolific celebrities, Jay Leno bid adieu to the show amidst applause and laughter. In his “Thank you” speech, Leno mentioned people who had made the show “possible,” aiming at some of the targets of his frequent punch-line -”Michael Jackson,” “Bill Clinton” and “Monica Lewinsky.” Jay Leno will be succeeded by Conan O’Brian on “The Tonight Show“, who was also his last guest on the show. James Taylor was the final musical guest and he performed his number “Sweet Baby James.” Jay Leno will be launching a new show in September in the 10 pm slot, on NBC.
Jay Leno had once made John Melendez shave his hair off on-air, after losing a bet Leno had made on air on his behalf. John Melendez is an avid New York Giants fan. In fact he is often seen drinking from a Giants mug on the sets of “The Tonight Show”.
John Melendez has worked as an announcer for “The Tonight Show” since March 2004, replacing Edd Hall. He had to go through a Speech Coach in order to get over his stuttering. He is sometimes called Stuttering John, a name he chooses to ignore. He has said that sometimes it happens that people actually get mad at him because he didn’t stutter.
He earlier used to do “The Howard Stern Show.” It was in this show that he was known as Stuttering John. John Melendez is a comedian who mostly relies on shock value humor, a trend he observes is dying slowly.
- Conan O'Brien's Talk Show "Conan" Beats Other Late Shows Ratings - Nov 10, 2010
- Leno's 'Tonight Show' Ratings Below Conan's: Worst Summer Ever - Sep 07, 2010
- Emmy Nominations Entered Two For The Show; Four For Conan, None for Leno - Jul 09, 2010
- Emmy Nominations Give Jay Leno A Miss This Year - Jul 09, 2010
- Conan O'Brien to sign a $40 million good-bye deal with NBC - Jan 20, 2010
- Lyle Lovett at The Tonight Show - May 26, 2009
- Howard Stern Talk-a-thon In 'Piers Morgan Tonight' Show - Jan 19, 2011
- Jay Leno's Tonight Show's Ratings Plummets To Record Low - Sep 07, 2010
- I loved suit Gangwani made for me: Jay Leno (With Image) - May 30, 2012
- Sikh group seeks apology from Jay Leno for Golden Temple remark - Jan 25, 2012
- Conan O'Brien Criticizes Jay Leno Over 'The Tonight Show' Mess - May 03, 2010
- Kimmel takes potshots at Jay Leno on the Letterman show - Mar 18, 2010
- Oprah Winfrey all set to interview Jay Leno - Jan 26, 2010
- Jay Leno being criticized for his comments on India's Golden Temple - Jan 23, 2012
- NBC Hullabaloo Continues With Jay Leno, Jimmy Kimmel And Oprah Winfrey - Jan 31, 2010
Tags: 17 years, applause, bet, bill clinton and monica lewinsky, comedian, conan o brian, giants fan, howard stern, howard stern show, james taylor, jay leno, john melendez, new york giants, punch line, shock value, speech coach, stutter, stuttering john, sweet baby james, tonight show with jay leno