John Galliano to sue couple accusing him of making Asian slursFebruary 27th, 2011 - 1:06 pm ICT by ANI
New York, Feb 27 (ANI): John Galliano’s lawyer has said that he will file a defamation lawsuit against the couple accusing him of making anti-Semitic remarks.
The British fashion icon is planning to sue the couple after they claimed he hurled anti-Semitic slurs at them at a restaurant in Paris, resulting in his suspension as head designer of Christian Dior, reports the New York Daily News.
“There was an altercation,” Galliano’s lawyer Stephane Zerbib said. “Mr. Galliano was verbally attacked, but at no point did he make any such insults, and we have witness testimony that backs this up.”
The heated exchange occurred Thursday at La Perle cafe in the trendy Marais district, which has historically been the home of the area’s Jewish community.
The female victim, who has requested that she remain anonymous, told Europe 1 that Galliano sat down at a table next to her and a male friend of Asian decent around 9 p.m. The designer then ordered a mojito and called the woman a “b—h”.
The woman said as she called the cops, the 50-year-old designer continued, “Dirty Jewish face, you should be dead. F—–g Asian bastard, I will kill you.” The woman said she had no idea who Galliano was until a nearby diner told her.
Galliano was briefly arrested and detained by police, but pending the results of the inquiry, he was immediately suspended by Christine Dior.
In France making anti-Semitic remarks is punishable by up to six months in prison. But so far, no charges have been filed against Galliano. (ANI)
- Brit fashion designer John Galliano filmed saying 'I love Hitler' - Mar 01, 2011
- Galliano didn't use racist remarks: Lawyer - Feb 28, 2011
- 'Anti-Jewish' John Galliano 'could face prison despite apology' - Mar 03, 2011
- Dior suspends Galliano after anti-Semitic remarks (Lead) - Feb 26, 2011
- Dior's John Galliano sacked over 'anti-Jewish slurs' - Mar 02, 2011
- Galliano facing defamation lawsuit - May 07, 2011
- Natalie Portman slams Dior's John Galliano over anti-Semitic remarks - Mar 02, 2011
- Portman disgusted by Galliano's anti-Semitic remarks - Mar 02, 2011
- Galliano stripped of French honour - Aug 26, 2012
- John Galliano sacked from Dior - Mar 02, 2011
- John Galliano found guilty - Sep 09, 2011
- Designer John Galliano trial set for June 22 - May 13, 2011
- John Galliano's show cancelled - Mar 05, 2011
- Galliano checks into rehab? - Mar 03, 2011
- I don't think he's racist. I just think he's very ill, says Galliano's 'victim' - Mar 12, 2011
Tags: altercation, bastard, british fashion, christian dior, christine dior, defamation lawsuit, europe 1, fashion icon, female victim, insults, jewish community, john galliano, male friend, marais district, mojito, nearby diner, new york daily news, stephane, witness testimony, york daily news