John Galliano sacked from DiorMarch 2nd, 2011 - 12:50 pm ICT by IANS
London, March 2 (IANS) Designer John Galliano has been sacked from Christian Dior after his alleged anti-Semitic remarks last week.
Sidney Toledano, Dior’s president and chief executive officer, said in a statement: “I condemn most firmly the statements made by John Galliano which are in total contradiction to the essential values that have always been defended by the House of Christian Dior.”
Contactmusic.com reports that the news of Galliano’s sacking came hours after Natalie Portman disassociated herself from the designer because of his recent actions.
The Jewish actress who is the face of Christian Dior’s Miss Dior Cherie fragrance said: “I am deeply shocked and disgusted by the video of John Galliano’s comments that surfaced today. In light of this video, and as an individual who is proud to be Jewish, I will not be associated with Mr. Galliano in any way.”
“I hope at the very least, these terrible comments remind us to reflect and act upon combating these still-existing prejudices that are the opposite of all that is beautiful.”
Despite the controversy, spokesperson for Galliano’s eponymous label has confirmed his show will go on at the Paris Fashion Week as slated March 6.
- Natalie Portman slams Dior's John Galliano over anti-Semitic remarks - Mar 02, 2011
- Dior's John Galliano sacked over 'anti-Jewish slurs' - Mar 02, 2011
- Portman disgusted by Galliano's anti-Semitic remarks - Mar 02, 2011
- 'Anti-Jewish' John Galliano 'could face prison despite apology' - Mar 03, 2011
- Dior suspends Galliano after anti-Semitic remarks (Lead) - Feb 26, 2011
- John Galliano's show cancelled - Mar 05, 2011
- John Galliano found guilty - Sep 09, 2011
- Christian Dior still in search for Galliano successor - Jul 15, 2011
- Galliano stripped of French honour - Aug 26, 2012
- John Galliano sacked from own label - Apr 15, 2011
- Brit fashion designer John Galliano filmed saying 'I love Hitler' - Mar 01, 2011
- Christopher Kane to join Dior ? - Feb 29, 2012
- John Galliano to sue couple accusing him of making Asian slurs - Feb 27, 2011
- Galliano checks into rehab? - Mar 03, 2011
- John Galliano sacked from own fashion label following anti-Semitic rant - Apr 16, 2011
Tags: chief executive officer, christian dior, contactmusic, contradiction, controversy, eponymous, jewish actress, john galliano, london march, miss dior cherie, miss dior cherie fragrance, natalie portman, paris fashion week, prejudices, sidney toledano, spokesperson