John Abraham steps out of ‘Stepmom’, Arjun Rampal steps inJune 5th, 2009 - 8:53 am ICT by IANS
By Subhash K. Jha
Mumbai, June 5 (IANS) John Abraham, who was seen in Karan Johar’s hit film “Dostana”, has turned down the ace filmmaker’s offer to play the lead in the Hindi version of Chris Columbus’ 1998 comedy-drama “Stepmom”. Arjun Rampal is said to be playing Ed Harris’ part in the movie.
“Karan had almost convinced John to do the role. He even promised that the husband’s role in the Indian ‘Stepmom’ would be far more substantial than what Ed Harris did in the original. But John is at a stage in his career where he wants to make all the right career moves. He feels as an outsider in the industry he has made a place that must be respected,” a source close to John told IANS.
First Saif Ali Khan, then John was approached to play the lead opposite Kajol and Kareena Kapoor in the desi version of “Stepmom”. In the original, Harris teamed up with Julia Roberts and Susan Sarandon.
“John is finally learning to say no to projects even if they come from big banners if he isn’t convinced that he’d get proper performing space. In ‘Dostana’, he went along with the sales-pitch that Abhishek was the ‘actor’ while John was the ‘body’. But in ‘Dostana 2′ John will make sure he will be the actor and the body. He’s working hard on it,” said the source.
The latest on “Stepmom” is that Dharma Productions has yet to acquire the rights to remake it in Hindi.
“The modalities for that are still being worked out. Until the contract is signed I wouldn’t want to comment on it. ‘Stepmom’ was released in the same year as my directorial debut ‘Kuch Kuch Hota Hai’ and I loved it. I look forward to developing it if the modalities are worked out. You of course know Kajol and Kareena Kapoor are expected to play the two roles,” said Karan.
Arjun, who did a walk-on part in “Kabhi Alvida Naa Kehna”, will wait as he has agreed to step into “Stepmom” if and when it gets made.
- 'With Karan Johar till I'm kicked out' - Sep 11, 2010
- Sidharth Malhotra to now helm action comedy - Mar 24, 2011
- Movie Review - We Are Family (2010) - Sep 03, 2010
- Stepmoms not always wicked witch: Arjun Rampal (Interview) - Aug 30, 2010
- I can't do films where I just look pretty: Kareena Kapoor (Interview) - Aug 28, 2010
- How Kareena Kapoor will fit into Julia Roberts' shoes in "Stepmom"? - Oct 06, 2009
- 'Dostana' sequel to go on floors this summer - Mar 20, 2010
- 'We Are Family' earns Rs.27 mn on opening day - Sep 05, 2010
- 'We Are Family' earns Rs.27 mn from paid preview (Lead) - Sep 05, 2010
- Arjun not interested in cameos, but does one for David Dhawan - Feb 10, 2011
- One has doubts working with first-time directors: Kajol (Interview) - Aug 25, 2010
- Kajol has always been lucky for me: Karan Johar - Sep 01, 2012
- Twitter comments on personal life upset Karan Johar - Mar 21, 2010
- Karan Johar mulls third season of 'Koffee With Karan' - Apr 19, 2010
- 'We Are family', a heartwarming Hindi take on 'Stepmom' (Hindi Film Review, Rating: ****) - Sep 03, 2010
Tags: arjun rampal, chris columbus, comedy drama, dharma productions, directorial debut, dostana, ed harris, hindi version, john abraham, julia roberts, kajol, karan johar, kareena kapoor, modalities, mumbai, outsider, saif ali khan, sales pitch, subhash k jha, susan sarandon