‘Jodhaa Akbar’ sweeps IIFA awards with perfect 10 (Roundup)June 14th, 2009 - 2:25 am ICT by IANS
By Radhika Bhirani
Macau, June 14 (IANS) In true Oscar-style, Ashutosh Gowariker’s historical romance “Jodhaa Akbar” swept the International Indian Film Acadmey (IIFA) awards 2009 here Saturday with a perfect 10 bag of trophies, being named the best film and fetching its male lead Hrithik Roshan the best actor award and Gowariker the best director award.
Priyanka Chopra was named the best actress for essaying the trials and tribulations of the style industry in “Fashion”.
The award for the best female in a supporting role went to Kangana Ranaut for her performance as a down-in-the-dumps model in “Fashion”, while Arjun Rampal walked away with the award for best male actor in a supporting role trophy for playing an unsuccessful and brooding musician in “Rock On!”
Abhishek Bachchan got the best comic actor for his performance in “Dostana” and immediately dedicated it to wife Aishwarya Rai and ailing Samajwadi Party leader Amar Singh.
The award for best actor in a negative role went to Akshaye Khanna for “Race”. Anil Kapoor received the award as Akshay had to leave for some personal work. Neeraj Pandey was given IIFA best story award for his critically acclaimed “A Wednesday”.
“Lagaan” was declared the best movie of the decade, veteran Rajesh Khanna was given the lifetime achievement award, Shah Rukh Khan and Aishwarya Rai were respectively declared the male and female actors of the decade, Rakesh Roshan was named director of the decade and double Oscar-winning A.R. Rahman was honoured with the composer of the decade award.
This set of honours were meant to commemorate 10 years of IIFA awards.
Rahman was also named the best music director for his soulful compositions in “Jodhaa Akbar”. The music maestro couldn’t attend the event and Gowariker received the award on his behalf.
The best male playback singer award went to Javed Ali for crooning “Jashn-e-bahaara” in “Johdaa Akbar”, while Shreya Ghoshal was named the best female playback singer for “Teri ore” in hit romantic comedy “Singh is Kinng”.
Well-known Bollywood writer Javed Akhtar won the best lyricist award for penning the song “Jashn-e-bahaara” for “Jodhaa Akbar”.
Aishwarya, the daughter-in-law of IIFA brand ambassador Amitbabh Bachchan, was honoured with a special award for an outstanding achievement in international cinema.
Director-turned actor Farhan Akhtar got the best male debutant of the year award for “Rock On!”, while Asin Thottumkal got best female debut award for action thriller “Ghajini”.
“Jodhaa Akbar” bagged the maximum technical awards at IIFA.
While ace designer Neeta Lulla walked away with the best costume design award for “Jodhaa Akbar”, best editing trophy went to Ballu Saluja and best art direction to Nitin Chandrakant Desai for the Hrithik Roshan and Aishwarya Rai starrer historical romance. Best Make Up award went to Madhav Kadam for the same film.
Resul Pokkutty, who made history by winning an Oscar for his work in “Slumdog Millionaire”, bagged sound recording trophy for Aamir Khan starrer “Ghajini”.
The best cinematography award went to Jason West for “Rock On!” and the best choreography award went to Farah Khan for the song “Desi girl” in “Dostana”.
Among the winners in the technical category, Farah and Jason were not present at the event.
- IIFA: Oscar winner Rahman gets best music director award (Lead) - Jun 13, 2009
- I want to sing for SRK: Javed Ali - Jul 02, 2012
- 'Jodhaa Akbar' bags maximum technical awards at IIFA - Jun 13, 2009
- 10th International Indian Film Awards(IIFA) 2009 finalists - Jun 08, 2009
- Jodhaa Akbar bags top honours at IIFA - Jun 15, 2009
- Jodhaa Akbar shines at IIFA - Jun 13, 2009
- Hrithik, Priyanka declared best actors at Filmfare Awards, 'Jodhaa Akbar' best film - Mar 01, 2009
- Zee Cine Awards: SRK, Vidya Balan, Dabangg And KJO sweep The Awards Under Popular Choice With Élan - Jan 15, 2011
- My films have always been denied popular awards: Bhandarkar - Apr 30, 2009
- Nominations for 54th Filmfare Awards 2009 - Feb 16, 2009
- Zindagi Na, Rockstar dominate IIFA awards - Jun 10, 2012
- 'Once Upon A Time…' leads IIFA nominations - Apr 02, 2011
- 'Dabangg' wins five at IIFA; Sonakshi, Ranvir win debut awards (Second Lead) - Jun 26, 2011
- 'Dabangg' bags seven IIFA awards (Roundup) - Jun 26, 2011
- The 2009 iifa Awards can be watched online - Jun 14, 2009
Tags: abhishek bachchan, akshaye khanna, anil kapoor, arjun rampal, best actress, comic actor, decade award, director award, down in the dumps, female actors, hrithik roshan, lagaan, lifetime achievement award, male actor, music maestro, playback singer, rajesh khanna, rakesh roshan, shah rukh khan, trials and tribulations