Jodhaa Akbar bags top honours at IIFAJune 15th, 2009 - 1:16 pm ICT by Sampurn Wire
The tenth year of IIFA surpassed all expectations with a spectacular show that saw epic movie Jodhaa Akbar bag most of the top Awards. The film won the coveted Best Picture Award, while Ashutosh Gowarikar won the award for Best Director and Hrithik Roshan for Best Actor for Jodhaa Akbar. Celebrating a decade of magic, the IDEA IIFA Awards show was held at the Venetian, Macao-Resort-Hotel, that played host to the three days Videocon IIFA Weekend.
Priyanka Chopra won the Award for Best Actress for her much acclaimed role in Fashion, while her co-star Kangana Ranawat won the Award for her performance as supporting female actor. Arjun Rampal came out victorious for Best Male performance in a supporting role for Rock On. The Lifetime Achievement Award was presented by IIFA Brand Ambassador, Amitabh Bachchan to Rajesh Khanna, who received a standing ovation from the packed arena.
Abhishek Bachchan won the Award for best performance in a comic role for his hilarious character in Dostana, while Akshaye Khanna won for Best performance in a negative role for Race. Neeraj Pandey’s powerful film, “A Wednesday’ won the Award for Best Story.
To commemorate the last decade in Indian Cinema, the Videocon IIFA Golden Decade Honors were instituted and presented at the Idea IIFA Awards. The Male Star of the Decade went to Shah Rukh Khan, while Aishwarya Rai Bachchan won in the female category. Movie of the decade went to Lagaan, with Rakesh Roshan winning Director of the decade and the talented AR Rahman won the award for Music of the decade. The star debut of the year was awarded to Asin and Farhan Akhtar. The IIFA and Green globe Foundation presented an Award to Rahul Bose for his contribution to creating awareness on global warming.
Other categories that featured Jodhaa Akbar wins were Music Direction by AR Rahman, and Javed Akhtar and Javed Ali for Best Lyrics and Best Playback Singer (Male) respectively for the hit song, Jashan-e-Baharaa from Jodhaa Akbar.
The action packed show had stellar performances by Sonam Kapoor, jacky Bhagnani, Bipasha Basu, Anoushka Sharma, Govinda, Riteish Deshmukh and Sushmita Sen and Aishwarya Rai and Abhishek Bachchan, as well as an impromptu Antakshri session which Amitabh Bachchan concluded.
This electrifying awards presentation ceremony will be beamed to a global audience and reach out to more than 500 million households on STAR TV, IDEA IIFA Awards broadcast partner. The 10th IDEA IIFA Awards ceremony will be telecast on Star TV on July 5th, 2009. -Sampurn Media
- 10th International Indian Film Awards(IIFA) 2009 finalists - Jun 08, 2009
- My films have always been denied popular awards: Bhandarkar - Apr 30, 2009
- 'Jodhaa Akbar' sweeps IIFA awards with perfect 10 (Roundup) - Jun 14, 2009
- IIFA: Oscar winner Rahman gets best music director award (Lead) - Jun 13, 2009
- Zindagi Na, Rockstar dominate IIFA awards - Jun 10, 2012
- 'Zindagi Na Milegi Dobara' leads IIFA nominations - May 04, 2012
- 'Rockstar' sweeps FICCI FRAMES awards - Mar 17, 2012
- Ranbir, Vidya win top IIFA honours - Jun 10, 2012
- Zee Cine Awards: SRK, Vidya Balan, Dabangg And KJO sweep The Awards Under Popular Choice With Élan - Jan 15, 2011
- Jodhaa Akbar shines at IIFA - Jun 13, 2009
- Golden Decade Honours to be given at IIFA 2009 - May 24, 2009
- It's back to Singapore for IIFA this year - Apr 24, 2012
- The 2009 iifa Awards can be watched online - Jun 14, 2009
- Filmmaking more challenging now: Sonu Sood - Jun 06, 2012
- Awards are important, says SRK - Jan 14, 2012
Tags: actor arjun, aishwarya rai, aishwarya rai bachchan, best actress, female category, globe foundation, golden decade, green globe, hrithik roshan, javed akhtar, javed ali, kangana ranawat, lifetime achievement award, playback singer, rahul bose, rakesh roshan, shah rukh khan, standing ovation, venetian macao resort, venetian macao resort hotel