J.Lo and hubby Anthony accused of trying to gain Obamas trustJanuary 13th, 2009 - 12:12 pm ICT by ANI
New York, January 13 (ANI): Singer-actress Jennifer Lopez and her husband Marc Anthonys decision to speak and sing, respectively, at the Latino Inaugural Ball in DC on January 18 has earned them accusations that they are trying to win the confidence of President-elect Barack Obama, after declining to support him during his campaign days.
Some Latino supporters of Obama are furious that the wealthy couple didn”t support the Democratic nominee until he was elected US President.
One power player called them “vile opportunists for worming themselves into anything Obama related even though they had nothing to do with his win.”
The source revealed that Anthony had refused to perform for Obama during a crucial get-out-the-Latino-vote event in Orlando, Florida, two weeks before the election.
Even Lopez had refused to endorse Obama unless he called her himself, according to the source, who added that the President-elect never contacted her.
The Orlando event went on without them and featured Bill Clinton and Jimmy Smits, said the source.
Some people are said to be upset that Lopez and Anthony did not donate to support Obamas campaign, and likened them to Sean Combs, whose reps tried to procure inauguration tickets for him for free.
“They haven”t given him, his campaign or the inauguration a cent,” a source said.
A friend of Lopez and Anthony, however, said: “Unlike Puffy, they are doing something - they are performing. And lots of people, including Rihanna and Mariah Carey, are performing and didn”t donate. A lot of celebrities are showing up as guests of magazines or political people and not paying anything or doing anything. Marc and Jennifer shouldn”t be reviled for that.”
The Latino Ball will take place at Union Station.
It is expected to attract a list of boldface names, including Rosario Dawson, Wilmer Valderrama and “Ugly Betty” actor Tony Plana. (ANI)
- Big names of Latin music to join Obama celebrations - Jan 17, 2009
- JLo feels strong, looks toward future after divorce - Aug 03, 2011
- Lopez calls Marc Anthony 'pig' - Apr 08, 2012
- J-Lo's twin toddlers face camera for charity - Jan 20, 2011
- JLo, Anthony not to attend launch of clothing line - Aug 20, 2011
- Anthony probes Lopez's relationship with first hubby - Apr 22, 2012
- Don Omar to compose song for Jennifer Lopez's TV show - Feb 14, 2012
- Jennifer Lopez arrives in Peru - Dec 05, 2011
- Lopez ready to marry Casper Smart - May 04, 2012
- Jennifer Lopez & husband may have split because of Scientology - Aug 15, 2011
- Marriage with JLo wasn't sustainable: Marc Anthony - Sep 02, 2011
- JLo gets lap dance from her dancer - Sep 26, 2011
- Lopez credits twins for saving her marriage - Jan 27, 2011
- Pregnancy can't be planned, but won't mind adopting: JLo (Interview) - May 15, 2012
- Marc Anthony, Chayanne announce US tour - Apr 24, 2012
Tags: actress jennifer lopez, barack obama, boldface names, democratic nominee, husband marc, inaugural ball, inauguration, jimmy smits, latino vote, marc anthonys, opportunists, power player, president elect, rihanna, rosario dawson, tony plana, ugly betty, union station, wealthy couple, wilmer valderrama