JK Rowling angers US Christian evangelicals for outing Dumbledore as gayNovember 14th, 2007 - 3:01 am ICT by admin
The author has been severely panned talk shows, web-sites, and newspaper letter columns.
“It’s very disappointing that the author would have to make one of the characters gay. It’s not a good example for our children, who really like the books and the movies. I think it encourages homosexuality,” the Daily Mail quoted Roberta Combs, president of the two million strong Christian Coalition of America, as saying.
“I would never allow my own children or grandchildren to read the books or watch the movies, and other parents should do so too,” she added.
Jack M. Roper on television evangelist Pat Robertson’s CBN (Christian Broadcasting Network) which called for a ban on Rowling’s book, yesterday said: “Harry Potter, an orphaned witch, is one hero who has captured the innocent heart of many children.”
“When such a hero uses evil as a problem solving tool, we need to be warned. Over time the child can become adapted to the dark world of witchcraft and not even know that it is dangerous.
“As a cult researcher for many years, I have seen contemporary witchcraft packaged in many seductive forms, and Harry Potter is the best. Potter makes spiritualism and witchcraft look wonderful,” he added.
The shocking revelation came during a question and answer session at Carnegie Hall, where Rowling was asked: “Did Dumbledore, who believed in the prevailing power of love, ever fall in love himself?”
She answered: “My truthful answer to you… I always thought of Dumbledore as gay.”
And afterwards she added: “I know that it was a positive thing that I said it, for at least one person, because one man ‘came out’ at Carnegie Hall. I’m not kidding.” (ANI)
- Harry Potter Theme Park To Open Soon - May 30, 2010
- Rowling plans 'Harry Potter' encyclopaedia - Apr 18, 2012
- 'Harry Potter' fan to auction Rowling's boots - Sep 20, 2011
- No more Harry Potter books: Daniel Radcliffe - Nov 17, 2010
- Daniel Radcliffe 'was worried about new Potter book rumours' - Apr 27, 2011
- Harry Potter becomes experiential in digital space - Jun 24, 2011
- J.K. Rowling wins Hans Christian Andersen Literature Prize - Oct 20, 2010
- JK Rowling reveals how she suffered depression, and came back stronger - Oct 02, 2010
- J.K. Rowling announces e-books, Pottermore - Jun 23, 2011
- Warner Bros gifts diamond bracelet to Rowling - Jul 21, 2011
- Harry Potter 'encourages witchcraft' - Oct 25, 2010
- 'Dumbledore' Sir Michael Gambon hasn't read Harry Potter books! - Sep 22, 2009
- J.K. Rowling May Write More Harry Potter Books - Oct 03, 2010
- Harry Potter and the Indian fan - one last magical time (Feature) - Jul 09, 2011
- Daniel Radcliffe says he'll never do another Harry Potter film - Nov 14, 2010
Tags: carnegie hall, christian broadcasting network, christian coalition of america, christian evangelicals, cult researcher, dumbledore, gay, harry potter, hogwarts school, innocent heart, jk rowling, mail, one hero, positive thing, shocking revelation, spiritualism, television evangelist, truthful answer, witchcraft, york audience