Jimmy Kimmel Celebrates “National Unfriend Day”November 18th, 2010 - 8:37 pm ICT by GD
By Gina Gomez
Nov 18, (THAINDIAN NEWS) It was a somewhat bizarre move by American television host and comedian Jimmy Kimmel as he said two weeks ago on “Jimmy Kimmel Live” to mark November 17 as “National Unfriend Day” on Facebook. Country singers Brad Paisley and Darius Rucker sang in the celebration of the National Unfriend Day on “Jimmy Kimmel Live” last Tuesday night with “The National Unfriend Day Soundtrack.” This movement by Jimmy Kimmel has been praised by some but criticized by many as some bloggers commented that its easier to deactivate a profile than delete friends from the profile.
Jimmy Kimmel in his last night’s show said that Facebook is recently making the value of friendship quite cheap as the users do not always talk with everyone they add in their Facebook profile. Hence, the television host feels that anyone can be friends with a person in Facebook without actually being a friend in real life. Jimmy Kimmel’s website read that National Unfriend Day is the international day when all the Facebook users will try to protect the “sacred nature of friendship” by deleting persons from their profile who are not their true friends in real life.
Jimmy Kimmel’s international campaign to shed fake friends from the profile has gathered mixed response. After a survey the media outlets have reported that most of the people have said that they do not have much friends to delete though they have more than 500 friends in their profile. Jimmy Kimmel wrote the anthem of National Unfriend Day and through the song he meant to say that time passes by very quickly and people should utilize each moment they spend in life.
- Oklahoma girl with 5K Facebook pals doesn't want to 'un-friend' anyone - Nov 18, 2010
- Facebook makes Timeline feature compulsory - Jan 27, 2012
- Why people get 'unfriended' on Facebook - Oct 06, 2010
- CMT Awards Winners 2012 - Jun 07, 2012
- New app helps find who 'unfriends' you on Facebook - Jan 31, 2012
- Facebook use, less socialising could make people sadder - Jan 18, 2012
- Jimmy Kimmel to host Emmy awards 2012 - Mar 27, 2012
- New app to delete drunken messages on Facebook, Twitter - Mar 23, 2011
- Jimmy Smits Hosts 30th Anniversery Of "A Capitol Fourth" - Jul 05, 2010
- Jimmy Kimmel engaged - Aug 16, 2012
- Urban Indian youths bored of social media: Survey - Jan 19, 2012
- Facebook CEO Mark Zuckerberg admits privacy mistakes - May 25, 2010
- Celebrities, politicians added to Gaddafi's Facebook support group without consent - Mar 04, 2011
- Jimmy Kimmel's diet plan helps celebs lose weight in a spoof - Mar 16, 2011
- Many Teens Ready to Unfriend Parents on Facebook After Study Suggests it "Uncool" - Aug 30, 2010
Tags: american television, anthem, bloggers, brad paisley, comedian, country singers, darius rucker, facebook, fake friends, gina gomez, international campaign, jimmy kimmel, jimmy kimmel live, last tuesday, media outlets, sacred nature, television host, true friends, tuesday night, value of friendship