Jim Carrey warns people against long-term anti-depressant useDecember 17th, 2008 - 5:30 pm ICT by ANI
Washington, December 17 (ANI): Actor/comedian Jim Carrey might have battled depression since his childhood, but he is against the use of anti-depressant drugs.
He warned people about using Prozac for a long period of time during a recent television interview.
“At the risk of like opening up the whole Tom Cruise Prozac argument, you know, I don”t disagree in many ways,” Us magazine quoted him as saying on Mondays Larry King Live.
“I think Prozac and things like that are very valuable to people for short periods of time. But I believe if you”re on them for an extended period of time, you never get to the problem.
“You never get to see what the problem is, because everything is just kind of OK. And so, you don”t deal. And people deal when they get desperate,” he added.
Carrey also revealed that he considered supplements to be a solution to the problem.
“It is vitamins. But it’’s also certain elements of the brain like Tyrosine and hydroxytryptophan that they”re treating depression with now,” he said. “It is a natural substance that’’s in your brain. Instead of being a Serotonin inhibitor, which just uses the serotonin you have and Prozac and things like that it just uses the Serotonin you have and it doesn”t allow it go back into the receptor, he said.
“It metabolizes your serotonin after a while and you have to keep taking more and more to feel good.
“This actually creates dopamine and creates serotonin. It’’s a wonderful thing. It’’s amazing. I”m going to talk a lot about it in the near future,” he added.
Carrey also credited his girlfriend Jenny McCarthy for helping him, and recalled meeting her years ago at David Spade’’s birthday party.
“She looked at me, and she said, ”You just looked so peaceful that I had to come and talk to you. I mean, I”d seen her a bunch of times, never in person. But I just thought — well, she’’s nothing like the persona, like the Singled Out person that I met — or that I knew, that I had seen,”” he said.
The actor said that he and McCarthy had no plans to wed. (ANI)
- McCarthy's son misses Carrey - Jun 07, 2012
- Jason Toohey Dating Jenny McCarthy - Oct 18, 2010
- Jim Carrey wants to marry Emma Stone - Aug 26, 2011
- Carrey unsure of finding long love - Jul 02, 2011
- I'm 'kind of upset' that I don't have my own sex tape, says Jenny McCarthy - Oct 01, 2010
- Anti-depressants doing more harm than good: Study - Apr 25, 2012
- 'Running away from problems' may help you achieve work-life balance - Mar 31, 2011
- Jenny McCarthy took therapy after split with Jim Carrey. - Oct 04, 2010
- Here's why Jim Carrey and Jenny McCarthy called it quits - Apr 08, 2010
- How anti depressants work - Sep 17, 2010
- How Prozac alters brain plasticity - Mar 16, 2011
- Antidepressant use linked to thicker arteries - Apr 03, 2011
- Mice study finds link between depression and inflammatory response - Dec 21, 2010
- New mouse model to probe how antidepressants work - Feb 19, 2011
- A tiny dose of Prozac may help relieve women's monthly misery - Sep 18, 2010
Tags: anti depressant drugs, comedian, david spade, december 17, dopamine, girlfriend jenny, hydroxytryptophan, jenny mccarthy, jim carrey, larry king, larry king live, natural substance, prozac, serotonin inhibitor, short periods, television interview, tom cruise, treating depression, tyrosine, wonderful thing