Jessica Lal murder case: Supreme Court rejects Manu Sharma’s bail pleaMay 12th, 2008 - 2:13 pm ICT by admin
New Delhi, May 12 (ANI): The Supreme Court today rejected bail application of Manu Sharma, who is serving life imprisonment in Jessica Lal murder case.
An apex bench, comprising Justices CK Thakker and DK Jain, delivered the verdict.
Pleading for suspension of Manu’s sentence, Senior Counsel Ram Jethmalani contended that the High Court had reversed the order of acquittal passed by the trial court under media pressure.
Model Jessica Lal was shot at point blank range on the night of April 29, 1999 while she was working as a barmaid at the Tamarind Court Bar owned by socialite Bina Ramani.
It was alleged that Jessica was murdered by Manu Sharma, alias Siddharth Vashist, son of Congress politician and former Union Minister Vinod Sharma, after she refused him a drink since the bar had closed for the day.
In its primary investigation, the Delhi Police also indicted Vikas Yadav, the son of Uttar Pradesh’s heavy weight politician DP Yadav, along with ten others.
The sensational murder case had a high profile list of accused which included names like Amardeep Singh Gill, Coca-Cola company officials Alok Khanna, Shyam Sunder Sharma, Amit Jhingan, Yograj Singh, Harvinder Chopra, Vikas Gill, Raja Chopra, Ravinder Krishan Sudan and Dhanraj. They had been charged under sections 120(B), 302, 201 and 212 of the Indian Penal Code (IPC).
But, an Additional Session Judge acquitted Manu Sharma on the murder charges and Vikas Yadav, Amardeep Singh Gill, Alok Khanna and Shyam Sunder Sharma on the charges of destroying evidences.
The verdict had come after a long hiatus of six years in which the case saw numerous twists and turns with a large number of witnesses turning hostile.
Deepak Bhojwani, socialite Bina Ramani, her husband George Mailhot, and her daughter Malini had testified that they had seen prime accused Manu Sharma with three other co-accused at the party. (ANI)
- Jessica Lall murder trial timeline - Apr 19, 2010
- Supreme Court verdict in Jessica Lall murder case today - Apr 19, 2010
- Manu deserves life for killing Jessica: Apex court (Third Lead) - Apr 19, 2010
- Supreme Court to hear Manu Sharma's bail plea in Jessica Lal murder case today - May 12, 2008
- Jessica murder: Apex court reject's Manu's plea - Aug 10, 2010
- Court denies parole to Jessica murder convict - Jan 31, 2012
- Manu Sharma questions Bina Ramani's testimony in Jessica murder case - Jan 21, 2010
- Jessica Lall case : Supreme Court rejects Manu Sharma's plea - Aug 10, 2010
- Jessica Lall case: SC upholds Delhi High Court verdict on Manu Sharma - Apr 19, 2010
- 'No One Killed...' is about a murder that shocked nation (IANS Preview) - Jan 03, 2011
- Manu Sharma granted parole, barred from nightclubs - Nov 16, 2011
- Witnesses turning hostile has become endemic: High court (Lead) - Mar 15, 2011
- Jessica Lall case: Defence ends arguments in perjury case - Apr 19, 2011
- 'Repentant' Manu Sharma donates Rs.5 mn to Missionaries of Charity - Dec 25, 2011
- Jessica murder case: Family hails Supreme Court verdict - Apr 19, 2010
Tags: amardeep singh gill, bail plea, bina ramvinod sharma, coca cola company, indian penal code, jessica lal murder, jessica lal murder case, life imprisonment, mailhot, malini, manu sharma, night of april, point blank range, ram jethmaldhanraj, ravinder, sensational murder case, tamarind court, twists and turns