Jean Charles de Menezes’ inquest turned to stage playJune 20th, 2009 - 5:21 pm ICT by ANI
London, Jun 20 (ANI): The shooting of Brazilian national Jean Charles de Menezes by the police on a Tube train at Stockwell station has now been adapted into a screen play by a London fringe theatre.
The show, ‘Stockwell: The Inquest into the Death of Jean Charles de Menezes’, will be staged at the Landor Theatre in Clapham, which is close to where the 27-year-old had been shot dead after being mistaken for a suicide bomber.
The play, which opens on July 21, will explore the sequence of events that led to the shooting on July 22, 2005.
It will also feature testimony from the inquest from surveillance and firearms officers, senior police co-ordinators, civilian witnesses to the shooting and relatives of de Menezes.
Yasmin Khan, a spokeswoman for Justice For Jean, a campaign led by the de Menezes family, has consented to the show.
“Until we’ve seen it, we support any artist contribution to keeping the case in the public profile,” the BBC quoted her as saying.
“As it’s the four year anniversary, it’s timely and fitting to go over the issues and anything that goes over that, we welcome,” she added.
Kieron Barry and Sophie Lifschutz, the writing-director partnership behind 2007’s ‘Deepcut: Scenes From An Inquiry’, have created the play.
The show will be running at the Landor Theatre for 16 performances until August 8. (ANI)
- Al Pacino-Robert De Niro movie poster draws flak - Dec 18, 2008
- Brazil starts preparations for Confederations Cup - Aug 15, 2012
- Mano Menezes wants Neymar playing in Europe - Mar 12, 2012
- 'Diana died after plan to frighten her into leaving lover went horribly wrong' - Mar 12, 2010
- Coronation Street: Sophie and Sian elope! - Dec 02, 2011
- London looters stole masks to hide identity - Aug 09, 2011
- I'm fortunate to debut with 'Dhobi Ghat': Kirti Malhotra - Jan 23, 2011
- Kaka left out of Brazilian squad - Feb 28, 2012
- Menezes to blame for Brazil's Olympic agony, says Romario - Aug 12, 2012
- London police chief resigns: reports - Oct 02, 2008
- No action against officers involved in De Menezes shooting - Dec 22, 2007
- Final squads of 11 teams for Champions League named - Aug 22, 2011
- Brazil's head coach warned to produce results - Mar 25, 2012
- Menezes' position in jeopardy after Brazil's Olympic loss - Aug 13, 2012
- Brazil to play three strikers at Olympics - Jul 17, 2012
Tags: august 8, bbc, charles de menezes, civilian witnesses, clapham, deepcut, firearms, fringe theatre, inquest, jean charles de menezes, kieron, landor theatre, london fringe, screen play, sequence of events, sophie, spokeswoman, suicide bomber, tube train, yasmin