Jayalalithaa demands apology from three news outletsMarch 7th, 2011 - 3:22 pm ICT by IANS
Chennai, March 7 (IANS) AIADMK general secretary J. Jayalalithaa has served legal notices to three media outlets, demanding an unconditional apology for their “malicious” reports suggesting that a huge cache of money in posession of tax evader Hasan Ali belonged to her.
The organisations are Mumbai-based daily MiD-Day, DMK backed Tamil newspaper Murasoli and news channel Kalaignar TV.
MiD-Day March 4 published a report alleging that the huge cache of money in possession of controversial businessman Hasan Ali belonged to a “woman politician who was also the chief minister of a southern state”.
According to legal notice served by Jayalalithaa’s advocate P.H. Manoj Pandian to MiD-Day Sunday and released to the media here Monday, the claim was made without any verification.
“This is mischievous, scurrilous, malicious and insinuating journalism at its very worst. In fact, it is my client who had issued statements and pressed upon to initiate action against persons who have stashed black money in foreign banks,” the notice says.
Agreeing that Tamil Nadu had one more woman chief minister (the late Janaki Ramachandran, who also belonged to the AIADMK) and the MiD-Day report was silent on the name, Pandian told IANS: “Let MiD-Day say so. However, it is that newspaper’s report which formed the basis of a report published by Murasoli and the news broadcast by Kalaignar TV.”
The notice says that both Murasoli and Kalaignar TV based their March 5 stories on the MiD-Day report.
Jayalalithaa has demanded an apology in writing from the news outlets, and asked them to publish/broadcast this as well.
Murasoli is the official newspaper of the ruling DMK and Kalaignar TV is majority owned by the wife and daughter of DMK president and Tamil Nadu Chief Minister M. Karunanidhi.
To a query as to whether the AIADMK too would send a legal notice to the three news organisations, Pandian said: “I do not have that brief now.”
- Kanimozhi: a poetess politician in trouble - Dec 15, 2010
- Karunanidhi denies getting letter from Ratan Tata - Feb 13, 2011
- Look at your own record, DMK tells Jayalalithaa - Jun 02, 2011
- 2G scam: Maran denies wrongdoing, opposition demands he quit (Roundup) - Jun 01, 2011
- DMK appeals to Neyveli contract workers to end strike - May 25, 2012
- With AIADMK win, voters eye freebies of laptops, gold mangalsutra - May 13, 2011
- I will not let down Maran brothers: Karunanidhi - Oct 11, 2011
- AIADMK allots 22 seats to Left parties - Mar 14, 2011
- Maran demands Rs.10 crore damages from paper - Jun 03, 2011
- Tamil Nadu's debt well utilised: Karunanidhi - Feb 06, 2011
- Kalaignar TV now fights to clear its name - Apr 25, 2011
- PM should seek Dayanidhi's resignation: Jayalalithaa - Jun 01, 2011
- Amid DMK troubles, Jayalalithaa creates ripples in Delhi (Roundup) - Jun 13, 2011
- TN polls: EC issues notice to Jayalalithaa, Vijayakanth - Apr 07, 2011
- Kalaignar TV destroyed documents: Jayalalithaa - Feb 20, 2011
Tags: aiadmk, apology, black money, businessman, chief minister, foreign banks, general secretary, hasan ali, j jayalalithaa, legal notices, manoj, media outlets, mid day, murasoli, pandian, politician, posession, ramachandran, tax evader, woman chief