Jaya Bachchan’s birthday gift - a movie launchApril 8th, 2009 - 8:02 pm ICT by IANS
By Subhash K. Jha
Mumbai, April 8 (IANS) Jaya Bachchan turns 61 Thursday and director Revathy Varma has decided to prepone the launch of her women-centric film “Chaassni” by a month to coincide with his lead actress’ special day.
“Yes, we’ve quickened the process of starting the film. April 9 is a very auspicious day,” Varma told IANS.
“And my film is about honouring and giving a respectable place to the aged in our society. So what better proof of the film’s intentions than to dedicate it to Jayaji’s 61st birthday?”
The pre-ponement has been quick and sudden and Raveena Tandon, who plays a pivotal role, is totally taken aback.
“I thought the shooting was supposed to start in May! This is the first time I’m hearing about the April 9 shoot. But I’m happy. We’re all fans of Jayaji. And the film is about making her character happy,” said Raveena.
Added Varma: “We’re doing just a brief shooting on April 9. Then we have a detailed schedule.”
Varma entered filmmaking with the Tamil version of “Chaassni”. Titled “June R”, it was based on the director’s own life.
“I adopted a mother from a foster-home. She’s no more. But the love she gave me has given birth to Jayaji’s character in the film,” said Varma.
Varma is planning it as a full-on commercial film with songs composed by Salim-Suleiman. “They can give a contemporary feel to the project,” she said.
Tamil actress Saritha had played the pivotal role in the original.
“The Hindi version will be radically different from the Tamil. I’ve just taken the core of my Tamil film and re-written it completely in Hindi,” said Varma.
Ayesha Takia plays Jaya’s daughter in the Hindi version. The senior actress’ on-screen chemistry with actresses who have played her daughters - Karisma Kapoor in “Fiza” and Preity Zinta in “Kal Ho Naa Ho” - has always been extra special. She now looks forward to getting motherly with the newly-married Ayesha.
- A Very Special 61th Birthday Gift For Jaya - Apr 09, 2009
- Madhavan gets Rs.10 mn for small part in Jaya-starrer - Sep 06, 2009
- Revathy Varmha finalises Ayesha Takia for her next - Jun 24, 2010
- Exit Urvashi Sharma, Enter Vidya Malvade - Sep 16, 2009
- My cheque bounced, so I quit 'Aap Ke Liye Hum': Urvashi Sharma - Sep 16, 2009
- Madhavan opts out of Jaya Bachchan starrer - May 15, 2009
- Bollywood wishes Jaya on turning 63, Big B thanks them - Apr 09, 2011
- Hindi remake of 'Vettai' to go on floor with Shahid in lead - Apr 26, 2012
- Jaya Bachchan to play 'adopted' mother in new film - Jan 29, 2009
- After Much Ado Jaya Bachchan Starrer Finally Starts Shooting Today! - Sep 05, 2009
- Raveena brushes up Marathi for 'Gin Liya Aasman' - Nov 30, 2011
- Amitabh to shoot for makeup man's film (Movie Snippets) - Feb 08, 2012
- Sonam Kapoor's loss Samantha's gain - Mar 30, 2012
- Manisha to play key role in 'Bhoot' sequel - Apr 19, 2012
- Gautham Menon to relaunch Aditya Roy Kapoor - Jan 24, 2012
Tags: auspicious day, commercial film, fiza, hindi version, jaya bachchan, kal ho naa, kal ho naa ho, karisma kapoor, launch, pivotal role, preity zinta, raveena tandon, respectable place, revathy, salim, saritha, screen chemistry, subhash k jha, tamil film, tamil version