Jay Leno Raises $100,000 For Oil Spill Recovery EffortsAugust 23rd, 2010 - 7:34 pm ICT by GD
By Meena Kar
Aug 23, (THAINDIAN NEWS) Stand Up comedian and talk show host Jay Leno showed another side to his personality as he was seen raising $100,000 towards the recovery of the Mississippi Gulf Coast after the Gulf oil spill. Performing at the charity event that was attended by thousands of people, Jay Leno ensured that the audience were in splits by the end of the show. With tickets worth between $40 to $150 available for the event Jay Leno raised a total of $90,336 for the cause. He said that his addition to the amount will make it $100,000.
Known for his humanitarian efforts as well as hilarious stand up comedy, Jay Leno ensured that every penny that the audience spent was worth the cause and the performance. At the end of the show he presented the oversized cheque to the president of the Gulf Coast Community Foundation. Performing at a resort-casino in Biloxi, Mississippi Jay Leno made some hilarious digs at the Americans and their eating habits. In one of the jokes he called America a nation of excuses and cited the most bizarre example saying that people think now that obesity is caused by a virus and not burgers and cheesecake. He added that the nation has reached a point where cheesecake is an ingredient.
Earlier Jay Leno had expressed his concern about the effect of the oil spill on the Mississippi coast and said that the attention should be focused there. He explained that such efforts have a tendency after a few weeks or month and so it is important that the people continue to work towards the recovery of the coast. He especially sympathized with all those who make a living out of the sea.
- Jay Leno Raises $100,000 For Gulf Coast Recovery - Aug 23, 2010
- Leno Raises $100,000 For The Gulf Coast Community Affected By Oil Spill - Aug 23, 2010
- Comedian Jay Leno raises $100,000 for the Gulf coast victims - Aug 23, 2010
- David Hasselhoff signs on to host oil spill show - Aug 19, 2010
- Islands flanking Mississippi 'might vanish' due to oil spill, sea level rise - Oct 30, 2010
- Backstreet Boys too boycott BP fuel - Jun 11, 2010
- Greater New Orleans Foundation opens Gulf Coast oil spill fund - May 02, 2010
- Jimmy Buffet to host a concert to boost those affected by the oil spill - Jul 07, 2010
- BP to pay $7.8 bn to victims of oil spill - Mar 05, 2012
- BP will be made to pay for oil spill damage: Obama - Jun 16, 2010
- Conan O'Brien Criticizes Jay Leno Over 'The Tonight Show' Mess - May 03, 2010
- Jimmy Buffett Concert At Gulf Coast This Weekend - Jul 07, 2010
- BP Oil Spill: Dead dolphins washed ashore had oil on them - Apr 08, 2011
- More than 20 dead gulf sea turtles washed ashore - May 04, 2010
- Tropical Storm Alex Gaining Strength, Could Push Oil Inland - Jun 29, 2010
Tags: burgers, casino in biloxi mississippi, charity event, community foundation, digs, eating habits, gulf coast community, gulf oil, humanitarian efforts, jay leno, kar, mississippi coast, mississippi gulf coast, news stand, oil spill recovery, recovery efforts, resort casino, stand up comedian, stand up comedy, talk show host