Jay Leno being criticized for his comments on India’s Golden TempleJanuary 23rd, 2012 - 9:22 pm ICT by Aishwarya Bhatt
Mumbai, Jan 23 (THAINDIAN NEWS) Indian authorities have taken strong exception to the comments of American comedian Jay Leno on one of the holiest sites in the country, the Golden Temple.
In a skit on his show, Jay Leno created the impression that the shrine was the summer home of GOP presidential favorite Mitt Romney. The depiction has been condemned from various quarters in India with the Sikh community in the United States launching an online petition to get back at the comedian.
Overseas Indian Affairs Minister Vayalar Ravi ha also joined in criticizing the comments. During conversation with the media, Ravi registered his protest by saying that, “It is quite unfortunate and quite objectionable that such a comment has been made after showing the Golden Temple… Freedom does not mean hurting the sentiments of others… This is not acceptable to us and we take a very strong objection for such a display.”
The Sikh community in the United States says this is not the first time that Leno has spoken against the group. The petition is urging the comedian to apologize for the comments that he made on his show The Tonight Show with Jay Leno.
The controversial episode of the show was aired on NBC on the 19th of January.
- US comedian Jay Leno sued over Golden Temple joke - Jan 26, 2012
- India objects to US TV host's joke on Golden Temple - Jan 23, 2012
- Sikh group seeks apology from Jay Leno for Golden Temple remark - Jan 25, 2012
- US defends TV host's `satirical' comments on Golden Temple - Jan 24, 2012
- India, US Sikh group object to Golden Temple comments - Jan 25, 2012
- Sikh group hires lobbyist to educate US media - Feb 02, 2012
- India, US to consolidate global strategic partnership - Jan 26, 2012
- India, US to work for implementing n-deal (Lead) - Jan 26, 2012
- Jason Alexander responds to Mitt Romney's Seinfeld comment - Feb 25, 2012
- Democrats not happy with Romney's first TV ad - Nov 22, 2011
- Christians-Buddhists-Jews support Hindus upset over depiction of Lord Ganesh as sex act - Jan 31, 2011
- John McCain endorses Mitt Romney - Jan 05, 2012
- Ron Paul attacks Romney, Bachmann and Perry - Aug 17, 2011
- Jay Leno Raises $100,000 For Gulf Coast Recovery - Aug 23, 2010
- US Presidential wannabe Huckabee way ahead of Republican rivals: Poll - Mar 03, 2011
Tags: american comedian, comedian jay leno, controversial episode, depiction, golden temple, gop, indian affairs minister, indian authorities, jay leno, mitt romney, mumbai, nbc, objection, online petition, protest, quarters, sentiments, sikh community, skit, tonight show with jay leno