Javed Akhtar hopes to resolve ‘Zanjeer’ issue amicablyApril 23rd, 2012 - 8:12 pm ICT by IANS
Mumbai, April 23 (IANS) As the remake of 1973 film “Zanjeer” reels under copyright issues, writer-lyricist Javed Akhtar of the duo Salim-Javed, who wrote the original movie, hopes to resolve the problem amicably.
“We have sent them a notice but we really hope they will solve it. We hope the problem will be solved amicably and we can sit across the table and decide. If not, then we will have to take another step,” Akhtar told reporters here.
The remake is being directed by Apoorva Lakhia and produced by Amit Mehra, son of late filmmaker Prakash Mehra, who financed the original film.
The remake is said to feature southern superstar Ram Charan Teja and Priyanka Chopra in prominent roles. The shooting of the film is under way and is being made in Hindi and Telugu simultaneously.
Akhtar is miffed after the makers decided to begin shooting for the remake without getting the go-ahead from Salim and Javed. He says the producer doesn’t have the right to make the film in other language.
“Yes, he (Amit Mehra) had the right to make the film, but he did not have the right to remake the film. He did not have the right to make the film in other language. And now that they are remaking it in Telugu and Hindi, they have to take permission from us,” said Akhtar.
“Besides that, they are making certain changes in the script. We have not surrendered our moral rights to the producer, we have never done so. So, they cannot make it without our permission,” he added.
- Will take Salim-Javed's blessing before starting 'Zanjeer' remake: Amit Mehra - Mar 25, 2012
- Arjun Rampal no more part of 'Zanjeer' remake - Aug 27, 2012
- Two item songs in 'Zanjeer' remake, Mahie gets one - Apr 16, 2012
- Priyanka not yet confirmed for 'Zanjeer' remake: Apoorva Lakhia - Apr 07, 2012
- Priyanka doing 'Zanjeer', will start shooting in September - Jun 12, 2012
- Remakes should be better than the original: Javed Akhtar - Apr 03, 2012
- Priyanka to shoot 'Zanjeer' remake starting September - Jul 23, 2012
- Indian film industry has withstood Hollywood storm: Javed Akhtar - Apr 25, 2012
- Ram Charan Teja will let silence speak louder in 'Zanjeer' - Apr 14, 2012
- Mahie Gill is Mona Darling in 'Zanjeer' remake - Apr 09, 2012
- Scripts, dialogues true actors of a film: Big B - Apr 03, 2012
- Javed Akhtar hails young filmmakers, keen to watch 'Vicky Donor' - May 15, 2012
- Abhay learns Tamil for 'Shanghai' (Movie Snippets) - Apr 16, 2012
- 'Mahi didn't want to play Mona Darling' - Apr 10, 2012
- 'Zanjeer' remake launch in April - Feb 12, 2012