Jason Wu – Whom Did Michelle Obama Wear At The Inauguration Ball?December 21st, 2010 - 10:09 am ICT by Sampurn Wire
: Jason Wu was just another designer till Michelle Obama wore a dress designed by him to the inauguration ball.
This 26 years old designer from Taipei was watching the festivities on television at home as he ordered a pizza. Little did he know that the stunning white chiffon dress worn by Michelle Obama was designed by him. While Wu was sharing the pepperoni and mushroom pizza with his boyfriend, Gustavo Rangel, the phone suddenly started ringing. The rest, as they all say, is history.
The next day was the busiest day in Wu’s life. He had appeared on almost all the morning shows, talking about the dress. He had to describe what the dress symbolized and why he had zeroed in on that particular material and color for America’s First Lady.
When asked, Wu said he not expect his turn would arrive so soon and now that it did, he was over the moon. Wu, who was just known in the fashion circuit of Taiwan, has become truly international. The day after the inaugural ball, the most popular newspaper of Taiwan read, ‘Michelle’s Evening Gown designed by Taiwanese’. Wu has made his nation proud.
Michelle chose Wu’s design over the others as she felt the gown was “simple” and “elegant”.
Having shifted to Vancouver at the early age of nine, Wu attended school in Massachusetts and Connecticut. He then went to Tokyo to study sculpture. He has been designing doll clothes from the age of 14. The company, Integrity Toys, had a collection of his designs under the name ‘Jason Wu Dolls’, which came to be known as “Fashion Royalty’ later on.
– Sampurn Wire
- Exhibition Of Ball Gowns Of America’s First Ladies - Jan 14, 2011
- Michelle Obama''s evening inaugural gown designer rises to fame - Jan 22, 2009
- Lauren Bush thinks Michelle Obama's sense of style is great - Sep 15, 2010
- Michelle Obama's 'nude' dress sparks race row - May 20, 2010
- Michelle Obama To Donate Inaugural Gown To Smithsonian Museum - Mar 07, 2010
- Michelle Obama donates inaugural gown to educational facility Smithsonian - Mar 10, 2010
- Michelle Obamas designer applauded for not using fur - Feb 07, 2009
- Thursday is pizza night for New Yorkers - Oct 05, 2010
- Michelle Obamas inaugural gown designer didnt expect selection - Jan 24, 2009
- Replica of Kate's wedding dress to hit stores - May 04, 2011
- Copycats hurrying to knock off Michelle Obama''s inaugural gown - Jan 23, 2009
- Michelle Obama sends stocks, sweet potatoes soaring - in style (Profile) - Nov 04, 2010
- Biggest moment when Michelle wore my dress: Naeem Khan (Interview) - Nov 01, 2011
- Michelle Obama blasted over black designer wear snub - Jan 27, 2009
- Prateik is very spontaneous: Kalki Koelchin - Oct 09, 2011
Tags: doll clothes, dolls, fashion royalty, festivities, first lady, inaugural ball, inauguration, integrity toys, jason wu, michelle obama, moon, mushroom pizza, pepperoni, rangel, sculpture, taipei, taiwanese, tokyo, vancouver, white chiffon dress