‘Janumadha Gelathi’ doesn’t live up to expectations (Kannada Film Review)December 6th, 2008 - 7:07 pm ICT by IANS
Film: “Janumadha Gelathi”; Director: Dinesh Baboo; Cast: Srinagara Kitty, Pooja Gandhi, Jayanthi, Avinash, Suresh Mangalore and Harish Rai; Music: V. Manohar; Rating:* “Janumadha Gelathi” is one of the weakest films by director Dinesh Baboo, who is known for making attractive family entertainers.
For all those who love Dinesh Baboo’s brand of films, this new offering from the dependable director comes as a shocker. It looks like a cheap gangster film made by an amateur director and not by someone who has given movies like “Amrutha Varshini” and “Suprabhatha”.
“Janumadha Gelathi” proceeds at a slow pace right from the start and the narration is far from logical. Dinesh Baboo, who usually focuses on even small details, fails to create a credible script this time.
Dinesh Baboo is credited with writing the story and screenplay of the film, which has been heavily inspired by director Balu Mahendra’s Malayalam film “Yatra” starring Mammootty and Shobhana. The film’s beginning where a journalist interviews a dreaded killer reminds one of Kamal Haasan’s “Virumandi”.
The second half is not only illogical, but is full of violence. The sentimental sequences involving the mother and her son fail to make any impact.
Srinagara Kitty plays a newly appointed forest ranger Gowri Shankar, who fall in love with a girl (Pooja Gandhi) he meets in the forest range. He is just about to marry her when the situation takes a negative turn and Shankar is forced to take shelter with the underworld. He is hounded the police as well another underworld don.
“Janumadha Gelathi” finally ends on a positive note as seen in “Yatra”.
Srinagara Kitty makes a good impression with his lively acting. Pooja Gandhi delivers a convincing performance in her role, but she could have looked much better. Veteran artists Jayanthi, Avinash, Suresh Mangalore and Harish Rai have limited scope in the film to perform.
On the whole, it is an unexpected below par film from Dinesh Baboo.
- Mathondu Madhuvena launched On Monday - Sep 16, 2010
- 'Panchamrutha' - an experiment gone awry (Kannada Movie Review) - Aug 14, 2011
- Weak story lets 'Mathondu Maduvena' down (Kannada Film Review) - Apr 09, 2011
- Dinesh Baboo's Eradane Madhuve Crosses 50 Days - Sep 01, 2010
- Watch 'Jogayya' for Shivaraj Kumar's performance (Kannada Movie Review) - Aug 21, 2011
- Kannada film 'Paagal' is sheer absurdity (IANS Movie Review - Rating: *1/2) - Dec 04, 2011
- 'School Master' must watch for Vishnuvardhan fans (Kananda Movie Review) - Jan 24, 2010
- Tamil, Malayalam movies sweep top national awards (Lead) - May 19, 2011
- 'Nee Illadhe' - another cop story gone awry (Kannada Movie Review) - Mar 27, 2011
- 'Naanalla' - engaging tale with fine performances (Kannada Film Review) - Oct 22, 2011
- Film fraternity came out in full strength to support Anna's movement - Aug 28, 2011
- Mr. Garagasa to get Tamil remake - Jan 22, 2010
- 'Eradaneya Maduve' an engaging comedy (Kannada Movie Review) - Jul 10, 2010
- Nagshekhar to start with Sanju Weds Geetha in Heaven - Nov 03, 2009
- Not doing Shankar's film: Deepika Padukone - Jul 24, 2012