James Franco to star in ‘Iceman’January 22nd, 2011 - 2:06 pm ICT by IANS
London, Jan 22 (IANS) “Spider Man” star James Franco is set to play an assassin’s role in the movie “The Iceman” based on the true-life story of mafia killer Richard Kuklinski.The “127 Hours” actor will play the role of Mr.Softee who acts as a mentor to the main character Richard Kuklinski (Michael Shannon) in the film based on the real life story of the notorious mafia contract killer who hid his crimes from police by freezing his victim’s bodies to disguise the time of death.
Benicio Del Toro will play the killer’s employer, mobster Roy Demeo while Ariel Vromen who wrote the screenplay based on the book ‘The Iceman: The True Story of a Cold-Blooded Killer’ by Anthony Bruno with Morgan Land will direct.
Kuklinski’s family had no idea about his crimes and thought he was simply a mild mannered businessman.
“I am honoured to work with such a talented cast on such a compelling story. Since the early stages of development, I had a dream of casting Michael Shannon as Kuklinski, as I believe there’s no one else that can play this part better than him,” contactmusic.com quoted Vromen as saying.
“Richard Kuklinski is a remarkably vivid, imminently watchable character, as was evident from his real-life footage. Ariel is a tremendously talented young filmmaker who has poured his heart into this project and has a strong, artistic vision,” said Ehud Bleiberg, the film’s producer.
- Gyllenhaal replaced in Richard Kuklinski biopic - Dec 15, 2011
- Mickey Rourke to star in mafia film - Sep 13, 2010
- Rourke signs on for real-life hitman's biopic - Sep 23, 2009
- Martin Scorcese, Robert DeNiro to reunite after 15 yrs - Dec 14, 2010
- Rourke wants to quickly complete mafia flick - Sep 28, 2009
- Gerard Butler receiving death threats - Sep 14, 2011
- Viewers faint on seeing Danny Boyle's latest movie - '127 Hours' - Oct 29, 2010
- Actor Ryan Kwanten has been chosen to play the lead in the Charles Manson biopic - Oct 28, 2010
- From real to reel: Reality inspires more Bollywood films - Jun 17, 2012
- Pakistani writer recalls Indian heritage of storytelling - Apr 17, 2012
- 'Raaz 3' tells true stories of Bipasha, Vikram - Aug 01, 2012
- Watch love, crime sagas this weekend (IANS Preview) - Jun 19, 2012
- Gangster who inspired The Godfather was a 'fake' - Jan 06, 2011
- Shooting in Darjeeling was memorable, says British actor - Dec 16, 2010
- 'Secretariat' - Hollywood's latest bid to recruit cinemagoers from Bible Belt - Oct 10, 2010
Tags: anthony bruno, ariel vromen, artistic vision, benicio del toro, businessman, contract killer, filmmaker, james franco, london jan, mafia killer, man star, michael shannon, mobster, mr softee, richard kuklinski, roy demeo, screenplay, stages of development, time of death, true life story