James Cameron slams Hollywood for making inferior movies in 3DAugust 15th, 2010 - 3:28 pm ICT by ANI
Melbourne, Aug 15 (ANI): Hollywood filmmaker James Cameron has slammed Hollywood for making inferior movies in 3D.
Cameron’s 3D movie ‘Avatar’ was the world’s highest grossing movie that earned around 3 billion dollars at the box office.
Movies like ‘Clash of the Titans’ and ‘The Last Airbender’ were shot in traditional 2D and converted into 3D after seeing Avatar’s success.
“I think it’s horrible and absolutely the wrong way to go,” Cameron said before the re-release of Avatar in 3D with added footage.
“I think it’s a quick, knee-jerk reaction to seeing the gold rush happen and the studios just wanted to jump in on it and that’s the only way they could do it. It’s the studio making the decision and then handing it over to some company to process it through a sausage grinder and come up with some kind of faux 3D, or a 2 1/2D mess,” he added.
Cameron has plans of releasing his 1997 hit Titanic, the second highest grossing film, in 3D.
“We are going to release it in 2012 in 3D, but we are going to take every care to ensure it’s as indistinguishable from having been photographed in 3D as we can,” he said.
“We won’t succeed. It will wind up being 2.9D, but it will still be .9 better than the 2D we released before. These other slapdash conversions, where they are not spending the time and money and not involving the filmmaker, are like 2.2D,” The Herald Sun quoted the 55-year-old filmmaker as saying. (ANI)
- James Cameron criticises conversion of films to 3D - Mar 26, 2010
- Cameron hit by lawsuit again over 'Avatar' - Dec 20, 2011
- James Cameron to help in Chinese 3D film - Apr 22, 2012
- 'Titanic 3D' trailer released - Nov 17, 2011
- Movie goers' thumbs up to 'Titanic 3D', earns Rs.6.1 crore - Apr 09, 2012
- 'Avatar' to be re-released with extra footage Aug 27 - Jul 08, 2010
- 'Avatar 2' not delayed as no release date fixed: Producer - Mar 26, 2012
- As VFX fights for foothold, in steps Bollywood Badshah - Jun 06, 2011
- Titanic 3D To Sail In 2012, Says James Cameron - Mar 16, 2010
- James Cameron Plans A 'Titanic' 3-D Release In April 2012 - Jul 07, 2010
- 'AVATAR' continues to ring bells at the BO! - Aug 31, 2010
- Toy Story 3 becomes UK's second highest-grossing film of all time - Sep 08, 2010
- Cameron tapped for China's 3D film - Apr 22, 2012
- Moviemaking about ideas, not equipment: James Cameron (Interview) - Jan 17, 2011
- Avatar to have a summer re-release with some extra scenes? - Mar 15, 2010
Tags: 9d, avatar, billion dollars, box office, clash of the titans, conversions, film in 3d, gold rush, grinder, herald sun, highest grossing film, hollywood filmmaker, james cameron, knee jerk reaction, melbourne, sausage, slams, time and money, traditional 2d, wrong way