James Cameron says it was ’stupid’ to add 3D effects to Clash of the TitansApril 24th, 2010 - 4:56 pm ICT by ANI
London, Apr 24 (ANI): James Cameron has said that adding 3D effects to ‘Clash Of The Titans’ was a “stupid” decision.
And disappointed with the visuals, the ‘Avatar’ director has called for movie bosses to put together a special organisation to regulate the quality of 3D films.
The director embraced the technique while making his hugely successful sci-fi epic Avatar, and since then he’s been championing 3D movies.
But now, he is convinced industry officials need to form a new organisation to publicise and protect 3D films, because poor quality effects will harm the new genre.
“What I’d love to do is put together some kind of a forum with the DGA (Directors Guild of America), let’s say, and maybe the ASC (American Society of Cinematographers) and we’d have to do it in Canada, too. I think some quality standards do need to be discussed. I think the studios and big distribution companies need to be included in that dialogue. Let’s not do stupid stuff that’s going to hurt this burgeoning marketplace,” the Daily Express quoted Cameron as saying.
And using the ‘Clash Of The Titans’ remake as an example, Cameron said that movie bosses behind the film delayed its release so they could add 3D effects at the last minute.
“They worked against themselves with that film. I’ve heard people say that they couldn’t watch (Clash of the Titans) in 3D and thought it looked better in 2D and they enjoyed the film more. I haven’t seen the film, so I don’t want to say too much, but I heard from enough sources that it was borderline unwatchable. And I have to say, I predicted that. When they said they were going to try to convert it to 3D in seven weeks, I said it’s not possible. You can’t do it. You can slap a 3D label on it and call it 3D, but there’s no possible way that it can be done up to a standard that anybody would consider high enough,” he added. (ANI)
- James Cameron blasts 'Harry Potter 'bosses over 3D 'mistake' - Nov 05, 2010
- 3D movies waste of money: James McAvoy - Jun 18, 2011
- 'Avatar 2' not delayed as no release date fixed: Producer - Mar 26, 2012
- James Cameron slams Hollywood for making inferior movies in 3D - Aug 15, 2010
- James Cameron criticises conversion of films to 3D - Mar 26, 2010
- James Cameron to help in Chinese 3D film - Apr 22, 2012
- 'Clash of The Titans' - a special effects joyride (IANS Movie Review, Rating: **) - Apr 02, 2010
- Moviemaking about ideas, not equipment: James Cameron (Interview) - Jan 17, 2011
- 'Titanic' in 3D -- Indian fans excited, experts doubtful - Apr 03, 2012
- 'Titanic' in 3D: Indian fans excited, experts doubtful (Lead) - Apr 03, 2012
- As VFX fights for foothold, in steps Bollywood Badshah - Jun 06, 2011
- 'Avatar' Releases New Unseen Extra Footage This Week, More Political Overtones - Aug 24, 2010
- James Cameron announces his next projects: Avatar 2 & 3 - Oct 27, 2010
- Avatar star unable to bond with James - Oct 10, 2011
- 'Titanic 3D' more magnificent after 15 years (IANS Movie) - Apr 06, 2012
Tags: 3d effects, 3d films, american society of cinematographers, avatar, clash of the titans, daily express, dialogue, directors guild of america, distribution companies, industry officials, james cameron, last minute, poor quality, quality effects, quality standards, sci fi, seven weeks, stupid decision, stupid stuff, visuals