‘James Bond Theme’ composer John Barry dies at age 77February 1st, 2011 - 12:52 pm ICT by BNO News
NEW YORK (BNO NEWS) — Oscar and Grammy award-winning composer John Barry died on Sunday of a heart attack at the age of 77, his family said Monday.
Barry, of Yorkshire, England, is probably best known for his composition of the James Bond Theme, but his five Academy Awards came for his compositions for ‘Born Free,’ ‘The Lion of Winter,’ ‘Out of Africa,’ and ‘Dances with Wolves,’ which also earned him a Grammy.
Inducted into the Songwriters Hall of Fame in 1998, Barry successfully composed the ‘James Bond Theme’ for 1962’s ‘Dr. No’ movie and went on to score 11 of the next 14 James Bond movies, including ‘Goldfiner,’ ‘Diamonds are Forever,’ and ‘You Only Live Twice.’
Barry, whose father ran eight cinemas in York and whose mother was a pianist, learned to play the trumped and piano at an early age, and began a rock band before beginning his film score career.
Barry died in his Oyster Bay, New York home. He is survived by his wife Laurie, his four children, and five grandchildren.
- Film composer John Barry dies aged 77 - Jan 31, 2011
- Steve Jobs to be honoured with Grammy award - Dec 22, 2011
- Indian music as complex as the sari: Imogen Heap (Interview) - Nov 26, 2011
- BBC presenter dies after taking party drug - Aug 11, 2011
- US jazz pianist Hank Jones dies aged 91 - May 19, 2010
- Boyle's Olympic creation narrative of British history (Roundup) - Jul 28, 2012
- Indian Jazz pianist Vijay Iyer loses Grammy - Feb 14, 2011
- R.K. Narayan's 'Guide' comes to Indian stage in theatrical avatar (Preview) (With image) - Mar 13, 2012
- Poland PM's wife gifts India bust of musician Chopin - Sep 07, 2010
- Hundreds bid farewell to singer Lena Horne - May 15, 2010
- Get a taste of romance, action with 'Ek Tha Tiger' soundtrack (IANS Music Review) - Jul 28, 2012
- Newman to compose for new James Bond movie - Jan 11, 2012
- Jennifer Hudson pays tribute to Whitney Houston - Feb 13, 2012
- Sheryl Crow to pen Diner musical - Sep 21, 2011
- Jazz Piano Grammy Winner Hank Jones Dies At 91 - May 18, 2010
Tags: academy awards, bno, compositions, dances with wolves, diamonds are forever, film score, grandchildren, hall of fame, heart attack, james bond movies, james bond theme, john barry, oyster bay new york, pianist, rock band, songwriters hall of fame, theme composer, wife laurie, wolves, yorkshire england