Jail was just like school, says Boy GeorgeApril 26th, 2010 - 6:38 pm ICT by ANI
London, April 26 (ANI): British singer Boy George has said that the time spent by him behind the bars was just like being at school.
The 48-year-old star was given an early release Pentonville prison in May 2009 after he was sentenced to 15 months in prison for assaulting and
falsely imprisoning a rent boy, reports The Daily Express.
“There was a daunting moment as I was being led to my cell with everyone shouting my name or singing Karma Chameleon, it was surreal,” George
“After six days, I was transferred to a category B prison in Suffolk. Somehow I found a way of coping. I was put to work as a cook in the kitchen,
which I enjoyed, even though I had to wear a really dodgy white outfit, which was depressing. I was assuming that it would be a nightmare but people
were fine. There were a few days when I thought: ‘Oh God, what has happened to me,’ but generally people were very nice to me. I was surprised,” he
“In many respects it was like being back at school. I made friends, I got bored, I read a lot of books and I had a lot of time to think and plan ahead,”
George said comparing his school life and the life in prison.
The singer was given an early release for good behaviour just four months after he was sent to jail. But he admitted that he was doubtful about
returning to normal life as a free man.”I’d become institutionalised. I’d felt safe in prison. I have a profile, so I worried about the stuff I’d have to deal with when I came out. Everyone
inside had told me I wouldn’t remember prison. I didn’t believe them but they were right,” George said.
George has finished his UK tour and has released his first new single in ten years named Amazing Grace. (ANI)
- Jail was just like school: Boy George - Apr 26, 2010
- Prisoners 'were in awe of George Michael' - Dec 05, 2010
- Singer George Michael free after four weeks in jail - Oct 12, 2010
- George Michael says he 'deserved jail for driving under influence of drugs' - Mar 06, 2011
- George Michael released from prison after four weeks - Oct 11, 2010
- George Michael released from jail - Oct 11, 2010
- George Michael branded 'The Hermit' by jail inmates - Sep 27, 2010
- Boy George regrets past behaviour - May 10, 2010
- Prison helped Boy George get rid of drugs - Nov 27, 2009
- George Michael wants to start afresh - Oct 13, 2010
- George Michael plays pool in his own jail cell - Sep 20, 2010
- Boy George ecstatic over being clean for two years - Oct 09, 2010
- George Michael's prison shopping list revealed - Oct 26, 2010
- George Michael, Boy George patch up after 25 years - Mar 15, 2010
- George Michael insists he is 'not getting special treatment' in jail - Oct 04, 2010
Tags: 15 months, amazing grace, boy george, british singer, category b prison, chameleon, cook in the kitchen, daily express, few days, four months, free man, george london, good behaviour, life in prison, nightmare, old star, rent boy, respects, six days