Jagjit Singh brought soul to film songs, says BollywoodOctober 10th, 2011 - 3:15 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Oct 10 (IANS) One filmmaker said it was Jagjit Singh’s songs that made his film touch millions of hearts, an actor said the ghazal singer was the king of soulful music, and yet another said it was a personal loss. Bollywood bid an emotional farewell to the singer after his death Monday, saying he never needed films to be popular.
Singh, who breathed his last at 8 a.m. Monday, was admitted to Mumbai’s Lilavati Hospital Sep 23 after he suffered a brain haemorrhage. He is survived by wife Chitra Singh.
Veteran actor Anupam Kher said: “Jagjit Singh’s death is a personal loss. His music was soothing and healing. It had a direct connection with the heart. He was not a showman, he was very down to earth. His music connected effortlessly.”
Filmmaker Mahesh Bhatt tweeted: “My film ‘Arth’ would not have touched the hearts of millions of people without the contribution of Jagjit Singh. Thank you friend.”
“I am in shock after hearing about Jagjitji’s death. It is such a big loss, an end of an era. He was one artist who never needed films to get popular. He was an instant hit,” said singing legend Lata Mangeshkar.
Bollywood superstar Shah Rukh Khan posted on his Twitter account: “So sad to hear of the demise of Jagjit Singhji. May Allah bless his soul.”
Producer and director Karan Johar tweeted: “I grew up listening to the brilliance of Jagjit Singh … my mother was a big fan and then made me one … RIP sir!!! Loss of a true legend.”
“Saddened to know ‘The Ghazal King’, Jagjit Singh is no more. Tum itna jo muskura rahe ho, this song makes me misty-e,” Akshay Kumar tweeted.
“I can’t imagine the days when I will no longer be able to hear his silken voice, no longer be able to talk to him or listen to his new songs. Now his old ghazals is all we have. His soothing voice, his warmhearted nature are all gone now. He was the pride of India. I also feel bad for his wife Chitra, she is all alone now,” said Asha Bhosle.
A Padma Bhushan awardee, Singh sang from many popular Hindi films. He had also sung in several languages, including Urdu, Punjabi, Gujarati and Nepali.
Shabana Azmi: “Jagjit Singh no more. His contribution to the ghazal in India is unparalleled. Big loss.”
Shekhar Kapur: “A heart that captured millions through poetry n song. G’bye Jagjit, dear friend.”
Preity Zinta: “May god give peace to Mr. Jagjit Singh’s soul ! He was the king of poetry & soulful music; He will live in our hearts forever … R.I.P.”
Kabir Bedi: “Jagjit’s passing fills me with sadness, but his voice & melodies are with us forever. Farewell, dear friend, Jagjit Singh.”
Madhur Bhandarkar: “Terribly shocked to hear the sad demise of Jagjit Singhji, in u i have lost a dear friend, yr soulful songs will remain till eternity.”
Shreya Ghoshal: “Jagjit Ji passes away. One of the saddest days for all us music lovers. The golden voice will not sing anymore. Rest in peace.”
- Bollywood remembers 'immortal' Mehdi Hassan - Jun 13, 2012
- B-Town prays for Jagjit Singh's speedy recovery - Sep 24, 2011
- Ghazal loses its soulful king in Jagjit Singh (Roundup) - Oct 10, 2011
- Music world mourns death of Jagjit Singh - Oct 10, 2011
- Jagjit Singh admitted to Lilavati Hospital - Sep 24, 2011
- Jagjit Singh's death mourned by political class - Oct 10, 2011
- Fans, family, friends bid adieu to Jagjit Singh - Oct 11, 2011
- Jagjit's voice initially seen not suited for films: Lata - Oct 12, 2011
- Kashmiri fans mourn Jagjit Singh's death - Oct 10, 2011
- 'Admirer' PM remembers Jagjit Singh - Oct 10, 2011
- Mehdi Hassan - my immortal 'ghazal traash' (Tribute) - Jun 13, 2012
- Great sense of loss in Bhopal over Jagjit's demise - Oct 10, 2011
- Jhuki jhuki si nazar, in remembrance of Jagjit Singh (Obituary) - Oct 10, 2011
- Jagjit's ghazals transcended boundaries: Pakistani daily - Oct 11, 2011
- Kashmiri artists and ghazal lovers mourn Mehdi Hassan - Jun 13, 2012
Tags: akshay kumar, anupam kher, bollywood, brain haemorrhage, emotional farewell, film songs, ghazal singer, jagjit singh, lilavati hospital, new songs, padma, personal loss, rahe, shah rukh khan, showman, silken voice, soulful music, true legend, twitter, veteran actor