Jagjit Singh admitted to Lilavati HospitalSeptember 24th, 2011 - 1:17 am ICT by IANS
Mumbai, Sep 23 (IANS) Well-known ghazal singer Jagjit Singh was Friday admitted to the Lilavati Hospital here following suspected brain haemorrhage, an official source said.
The hospital authorities remained tight-lipped about the exact nature of his medical condition and its seriousness.
However, many of his friends and admirers have taken to micro blogging site Twitter to update about his condition.
Singer Lata Mangeshkar tweeted: “mujhe abhi pata chala hai ki hum sab ke priya ghazal singer Jagjit Singhji ko brain hemorrhage hua hai aur woh hospital me hai, main ishwar se prarthana karti hu ki wo jald acche ho jaaye, aur aap sab bhi unke liye prarthana ki jiye …. (I have just come to know that our favourite ghazal singer Jagjit Singhjji had a brain hemorrhage and he is in hospital. I will pray for his fast recovery and all of you should also pray for him.)”
Former cricket captain Saurav Ganguly posted: “Heard about Jagjit Singh, he got sudden brain hemorage.. Pray for legendary Ghazal Singer.”
Actor Aftab Shivdasani wrote: “Lets all pray for Jagjit Singhji’s health…He is critical at Lilavati hospital.. May god oversee this and allow mercy to him.”
Known as ‘Ghazal King’ of India, Jagjit Singh, 70, and his wife Chitra are considered the pioneers of modern ghazal singing in the country.
Jagjit Singh was supposed to jam with Pakistani ghazal maestro Ghulam Ali at Fever Unplugged Concert.
“Jagjitji had to perform today at the concert, but then he fell ill and was hospitalised. The organisers roped in Hariharan at the last moment and he performed with Ghulam Ali,” said a source.
- B-Town prays for Jagjit Singh's speedy recovery - Sep 24, 2011
- Jagjit Singh brought soul to film songs, says Bollywood - Oct 10, 2011
- Jagjit Singh remains 'critical' - Sep 24, 2011
- Mehdi Hassan was outstanding: Lata Mangeshkar - Jun 13, 2012
- Ghazal loses its soulful king in Jagjit Singh (Roundup) - Oct 10, 2011
- Music world mourns death of Jagjit Singh - Oct 10, 2011
- Jagjit Singh passes away - Oct 10, 2011
- Jagjit Singh was an extraordinary personality: Advani - Oct 10, 2011
- 'Admirer' PM remembers Jagjit Singh - Oct 10, 2011
- Jagjit's voice initially seen not suited for films: Lata - Oct 12, 2011
- Artists don't subscribe to India-Pakistan differences: Ghulam Ali - Sep 23, 2011
- Fans, family, friends bid adieu to Jagjit Singh - Oct 11, 2011
- Kashmiri fans mourn Jagjit Singh's death - Oct 10, 2011
- Mehdi Hassan - my immortal 'ghazal traash' (Tribute) - Jun 13, 2012
- Bollywood has no taste for ghazals: Jagjit Singh - Mar 29, 2011
Tags: aftab shivdasani, aur, brain haemorrhage, brain hemorrhage, chala, chitra, cricket captain, exact nature, ghazal singer, ghulam ali, hariharan, hospital authorities, jagjit singh, jiye, karti, last moment, lilavati hospital, prarthana, priya, saurav ganguly