Jackson’s former wife denies cash-for-kids claimJuly 15th, 2009 - 9:29 am ICT by IANS
Los Angeles, July 15 (DPA) The lawyer for Michael Jackson’s ex-wife Debbie Rowe Tuesday denied a report that she had agreed to forego her parental rights in exchange for a huge cash settlement from the Jackson family.
Rowe, mother of Jackson’s two older children, Prince Michael, 12, and Paris, 11, and is considered to have a strong legal case to be granted custody even though Jackson in his will named his mother, Katherine, as the children’s guardian.
The New York Post reported this week that she had agreed to cede custody to the children’s grandmother in return for $4 million. In an open letter to the paper, her lawyer, Eric George, called the report completely false and demanded a retraction.
“There has been no agreement reached between Ms Rowe and the Jacksons,” George wrote. “Ms Rowe has not and will not give up her parental rights. No determination has been reached concerning custody or visitation. And Ms Rowe has not accepted and will not acceptany additional financial consideration beyond the spousal support she and
Michael personally agreed to several years ago.”
Both sides are due Monday in court for a custody hearing. Other reports have said that Rowe is negotiating with the Jackson family in a bid to ensure that Jackson’s father, Joe, whom Michael accused of abusing him as a child, is never given control over the children.
- MJ's ex-wife looking after his children - Jun 28, 2010
- Happy to be with kids: Katherine - Aug 04, 2009
- 'First meeting with Debbie Rowe was special', says MJ's mum - Jun 28, 2010
- Jackson's parents file for kids' guardianship - Jun 30, 2009
- Deal over MJ kids' custody will be struck within days, says pal - Jul 19, 2009
- MJ's mother missing? - Jul 23, 2012
- Jacko's mother to look after his children - Jun 29, 2009
- Jackson mother, ex-wife in custody talks: report - Jul 14, 2009
- Jackson's mother granted custody of kids - Aug 04, 2009
- Debbie Rowe concerned for MJ's kids' safety after stun gun threat reports - Mar 06, 2010
- Ex-wife uses kids to get to Michael Jackson's money - Jul 09, 2009
- US police search for Michael Jackson's missing mom (Lead) - Jul 23, 2012
- Jacko's ex-wife wants full custody of kids - Jun 27, 2009
- Jackson's children could become focus of custody battle - Jun 27, 2009
- MJ's ex-wife Debbie Rowe wants $4M to give up her parental rights - Jul 14, 2009
Tags: cash settlement, father joe, financial consideration, grandmother, guardian, jackson family, jacksons, lawyer, legal case, michael jackson, mother katherine, new york post, parental rights, paris 11, prince michael, retraction, spousal support, wife debbie