Jackson’s estate sues memorabilia companyJanuary 21st, 2011 - 11:32 pm ICT by IANS
London, Jan 21 (IANS) Late pop legend Michael Jackson’s estate is suing a businessman working with his mother Katherine Jackson to sell memorabilia related to the deceased singer.Howard Mann’s website jacksonsecretvault.com is marketing “official” souvenirs of the singer who was found dead from acute Propofol intoxication at his rented Los Angeles house June 25, 2009 authorised by his 80-year-old mother Katherine. But lawyers for the estate argue the sales descriptions are misleading, reports femalefirst.co.uk.
The lawsuit seeking compensatory and punitive damages which was filed in the US District Court alleges the website “does absolutely everything in its power to suggest to its visitors that it is the hub for all things Michael Jackson, and that it is sanctioned and supported by the estate, when in fact it is neither”.
The estate’s attorney, Howard Weitzman said: “People who trade off Michael’s personality, copyrights, and trademarks should not be allowed to exploit the legacy of one of the world’s most recognized talents for their own benefit.
“Protecting and preserving Michael’s assets are a core responsibility of the estate and we will do everything the law permits to enforce those rights,” he added.
Although Katherine who is a beneficiary of the “Thriller” star’s estate and is the guardian of his three children features in promotional photos for the website, she has not been named in the lawsuit.
- 'Spanking kept MJ away from gangs', says Joe Jackson - Sep 06, 2010
- Katherine Jackson To Release Coffee Table Book Honoring Son, Michael - Jun 22, 2010
- MJ fans call for vault website shut down - Nov 08, 2010
- Jackson's doctor gets four-year jail term - Nov 30, 2011
- Michael Jackson's Mother To Produce Films On Son's Life - Jul 02, 2010
- Katherine Jackson to make MJ films - Jul 02, 2010
- MJ's family to stage benefit concert - Oct 11, 2011
- Just $30 million left for Jackson's family - Sep 14, 2011
- MJ's mum 'to produce movies about his life' - Jul 02, 2010
- Michael Jackson doctor found guilty of manslaughter - Nov 08, 2011
- Katherine Jackson to release coffee table book on MJ - Jun 22, 2010
- Tito: Murray should be jailed for life - Nov 10, 2011
- MJ's mom withdraws petition to take control of son's estate - Aug 05, 2009
- MJ's father ordered to stay out of son's estate - Oct 27, 2010
- La Toya may now own the Michael Jackson family home - Mar 15, 2011
Tags: authorised, beneficiary, businessman, compensatory and punitive damages, copyrights and trademarks, core responsibility, deceased singer, howard mann, howard weitzman, intoxication, jan 21, katherine jackson, london jan, michael jackson, misleading reports, mother katherine, old mother, pop legend, souvenirs, us district court